Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

CL84
New Contributor

The story of me

Hi guys,

Im a Mum of 4, aged from 5-16, i am 34 years old have been married for 12 years and with my husband for 15 years, and I was diagnosed with bipolar type 1 in October 2017, although my symptoms were around long before and often misdiagnosed with numerous other things, like depression, post natal depression, more depression and a little BPD thrown in for good measure.

My biggest most out of control high was back in 2014, I had just turned 30, I had lost 30kg and was also mid eating disorder, whilst I was still a size 14 I had gained an unhealthy obsession with food and the gym, my husband was working a lot and I had made a new friend I was hanging out with a lot, I met a guy, he was much younger than me, we were working out together, this is where I spiralled, 3 months on a high, 3 months I put my family through hell, until the crash, you know the one I mean, the part when your high ends, where you just drop, I even remember the exact moment I broke, my husband was there, regardless of what I did, he was there.

We packed up our lives and moved towns, I crashed again in 2017, really hard, ready to die, ready to give up, there were circumstances between this  huge ones, things you only have nightmarrs about, Im not sure how much space I have so maybe I will write about that at a later date, then began the journey to being diagnosed Bipolar 1, then began the journey to remission, trial and error with medication and my life began to stabilize, I didn't even know the world could be so clear.

Sure, even on medication I have what I describe as "medicated highs" and "medicated lows" but they are just fleeting and rare.

I dont hate my bipolar, infact I dont even think I would choose to erase it if I could, it is part of who I am and if I can help people get through the same things then thats my purpose, that's what I'll do.

Thanks for reading and i look forward to getting to know everyone.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: The story of me

Hi @CL84 Nice to meet you and get to know you a little through what you have written.

I hope you find people here who you can connect with, get to know and share your journey with. There are many wide and varied threads and people with different diagnoses so take a look around the forum, get to know what is around and join in some conversations. If you have any questions then tag me in and I will do my best to answer them or at least point you in the right direction to find answers.

Welcome to the forum Smiley Very Happy

I really admire your spirit. You are so brave and I think it’s a wonderful place to be where you can embrace yourself as you are. Live, love and laugh... you are definitely on the way up😊

Hello @CL84

A very warm welcome to the forum, it is nice to meet you.

It sounds like you have been through an awful lot with your mental health on top of raising 4 children, that is a huge amount. It seems like at the moment you are feeling quite stablised which is good to hear, thank you for sharing that, there will be so many reading this who will be in awe of what you have been through and sharing your experiences.

You might like to also say hello and Introduce Yourself here, if you feel up to it.

I look forward to getting to know you better,

Lunar

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance