Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Jorge
Contributor

Unpleasant to pleasant

Hi all

I am fairly new here and just wanted to say I can relate to so many of the experiences I read on these forums, the pain and suffering of living with complex mental health issues. I just wanted to aknowledge the hard slog we all go through in our own ways and to share.

Just over a month ago I went into my latest psychosis. My anxieties around feeling isolated and dealing with relationship troubles got the better of me. Fortunately I recognised, or more importantly took myself to my GP who helped me recognise I was becoming unwell again.

I've always struggled to get my story across to a GP, a psychiatrist and a psychologist. I tell one something but neglect to tell the others. Fortunately my GP, pschiatrist and psychologist have banded together via email to keep on top of it so I don't have to stress. 

I've been putting in effort for over 20 years seeing many psychologists until I found a good fit. I have a great 'toolbox' thanks to them and this time I was finally able to pause and use the tools. I've also realised that while they help with many things, my psychotic tendencies do require medication. This has literally been a hard pill to swallow but from where I've just been, a pure state of fear, it's a no brainer for me.

It is daunting and scary to put my trust in these three people considering the years of missteps, misdiagnosis and mismedications! I hope everyone out there keeps trying to find the right supports because when they come along life seems a bit brighter.

3 weeks ago it was hour by hour.

2 weeks ago it was day by day.

1 week ago my brain came back online : )

This week I have found a support worker and can see a future.

I am so grateful for having found this site, seeking support and getting my story out. Hang in there everybody on this rollercoaster thingy called life. I have found beauty again, I hope you do too x

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Unpleasant to pleasant

Hi @Jorge 

Thanks for sharing your experiences. You sound like you are doing well which is great to read. Life certainly is a rollercoaster and for me even though its definitely had its ups and downs I am happy with it so far 🙂 there is so much beauty in it. Today I woke up thinking wow its sunny and total blue sky after last night thunderstorms, rain and I think hail.. such a contrast!

Hope you have a great day. 

Re: Unpleasant to pleasant

Hey @Jorge It's so good you've finally found the right supports for you! I agree, a good GP always helps with getting good support in place. Yep, sometimes it can take many years to get a good psychologist. I hope this changes for me soon. I also insist at my doctors to keep a good medical program for me (a lot of people are anti-medications which I'm not one of those people), so if anything plays up I jump on it quick smart lol! It's nice you've come out the other side! Have a good day!
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance