Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Claire79
New Contributor

Very worried about my son

My 21 year old son has Aspergers and a mild intellectual disability. He has been bullied badly in the past and has trouble making decent friends. I went away to work for 2 weeks and when I got home he wasn’t home either. I got a phone call from him the day after I got home to come and pick him up because he was scared. He said that cars were following him. He also said that one of the men he was hanging around has been bullying him and knows dangerous people and said he could get my son killed. He was walking around the house with a sharp object at 4 am thinking someone was going to come into our home. I had to go back to work so my son is staying  with my mum until I get home because he refused to stay In our house. My partner is at home but he said he doesn’t feel safe. He thinks people are staring at him all the time. I asked him if he had any more threats Made to him in the past few days and he said it’s all secretive. He refuses to see a psychologist. And I have no idea what to do! I’m not actually sure if he is being bullied or if he has mental health problems. The paranoia has only just started. He had never been like this before. What do I do?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Very worried about my son

Hey there @Claire79, thanks heaps for posting and sharing what's been happening. I am really sorry to hear about what's been going on with your son, especially as it's out of the blue it must be very concerning and no doubt you want to get to the bottom of what's going on. 

It's really important you get some support for both yourself and for your son, the best first base would definitely be reaching out to the team at Carer's Australia, there's a list of contact numbers state by state here. They may be able to give you more tailored support, especially some strategies on how to get him on board with seeing a professional (such as a psych as you mentioned). They will also be able to offer you support options in the way of self-care or peer groups. It definitely sounds concerning as the behaviour is new, have you been able to get any further clarification on these threats? Do you know much about these people he has been spending time with?

The community is always here to listen Heart Hope to hear from you soon.

@Claire79  Hi Claire79 and welcome to the forums.  I have a son with autism and a daughter with asbergers. I get exactly where you are coming from. My son also has epilepsy, mild intellectual delay and schizophrenia. If he was unmedicated he would be totally paranoid. He carries around a weapon in his pocket to make him feel safe.

You don't mention your son's age? Is he under 18 then he is legally a child and it would be easier for you to have him hospitalised if need be.  Is he a danger to himself or others. If you feel he is then he should be admitted to hospital where he can be assessed. Did you know that severe stress can bring on a psychosis so yes talk with him about hospital where he will be safe and have medical staff who will help him.

The thing I know is about autistic people is they don't lie. Sounds to me that someone has deliberately scared your son knowing that he is a vulnerable person. This is what every mother of an autistic or asbergers child dreads as they are so innocent in so many ways. .I hope my words have helped and please keep in touch and let us know how you and your son are going. Love greenpea xxx

ps: if you want to talk with someone directly put a @ infront of their name like I did you you and then they will be notified of the posting.. 

Hi, I feel for you at this difficult and uncertain time, especially having had a son do and act very much the same. I highly recommend a psych evaluation, as you mentioned, or atleast your family GP, who may be able to help talk your son into seeking psychological assistance. Also, as another member mentioned, if you are ever concerned about self harm, or harm to another being, hospital or Ambulance are there to support and assist. Best wishes, hope it all goes well.

hello and sending you lots of hugs @Tufftimes , @Claire79 , @greenpea 

how is everything today xx

2 of my step son were diagnosed with ADHD and all my 4 step children have inherited depression as their father  xoxo

@Shaz51 oh dear, sounds like you are doing an amazing job, and must often have your hands full, keep up your wonderful, kind and positive communication, I am sure everyone is here for you also, just as you are for them 🤗💐
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance