Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Beebianca1977
Casual Contributor

Visual hallucinations

Finally after 34 years I have been officially diagnosed with visual hallucinations. All other doctors would say 'your not schizophrenic'. Ok then. THen why is there a girl that Always stands beside my bed at night when I go to sleep sorry to scare u. Why is there a clown in my car when I am all alone. Why is there a dragon in my kids bedroom. Cmon seriously something is wrong. So finally one lovely doctor explained it to me. These characters come only under extreme stress or if I work myself up to them. I call
Them characters because I know they are not real. But there presence is real. I feel like they are gojng to grab me or touch me. So I move and jump. But I'm learning to control this taking back the power. Has anyone else suffered from this.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Visual hallucinations

@Beebianca,
Hi dear, yes, my father suffers from schizophrenia and manic depression. I think it was caused through pinks disease, as dad had mercury poisoning. Also he was a musician/ music teacher and took marijuana to enhance his creativity.Dad gets both auditory and visual hallucinations.
I've only had one visual hallucination, it was when i thought something or someone was channeling througgh to me. It was an sas man dressed in black SAS army special forces suit with scary breathing gear on too.
The rest of the time i mainly only hear my mother's voice or father's or aunt's voice and also my child's voice.
We should never feel ashamed of having a mental illness. Mine came on after the death of my brother and from years of abuse by my parent and 4 fathers involved in domestic violence. Hope your medication helps with the visuals and cuts them out sweetie Beebianca. I'm sorry that you got sick after 34 years of being well. I was 26 when i hallucinated, and i was mentally well before this and had never hallucinated before this.
Hopefully we can reduce the stigma by sharing our story with others. Then others will know that ordinary and well people can get sick with a mental illness too.
Have a nice day. God bless you.
Former-Member
Not applicable

hi @Beebianca1977
Welcome to the forums, im glad that you have shared so clearly what you have been going through and what its like for you. I know that there are many people here who will be able to relate (as @BambiFawn has). I havent had visual hallucinations like that but i have had other experiences that i dont really understand and which scare me completely. I hope that you find some comfort in the fact that you are definitely not alone!
You may like to use the search the forum bar at the top to find other discussions on halluciations as well. And please feel free to join in any conversations/threads around the forums, you are very welcome here.
Take care

Hi @Beebianca1977,

Thank you for reaching out on the Forums and sharing your experiences of visual hallucinations. Hallunications of any kind can be very distressing and it is not uncommon for them to manifest under extreme stress like you said yourself. I think it is a great strategy that you use in calling the hallucinations "characters" and separating them from reality. Nonetheless, you are right in that their presence, despite not being physical is very real.  Do you have any other strategies that you are currently using to help you when you see these characters? Are you supported by your doctor through this?

There are a number of people on the Forums who also experience visual hallucinations, as well as auditory and sensory hallunications. You might be interested in reading through this thread, where people share their experiences. You can search for similar threads by typing key words in the search bar, such as "visual hallucinations."

I hope you find the Forums a helpful place to connect with people with shared experience. You are not alone.

Take care,

River9

@River9

Sometimes I really wonder whether I suffer from a voice as my old psychologist called it or an ordinary auditory hallucination. 

My Psychologist did a state mental exam of me and she said i used my father's language to define my illness.  She said I used the term auditory hallucination incorrectly.  She continued to say that with an hallucination you will get confusion and delusions.  Whereas my voice of my mother's after years of verbal abuse, was characterised with no confusion and no delusions.  When I hear my mother's voice I am in reality and I know it's not real and the voice is rather spiritual like it is coming from the spiritual realm and on the outside of my head, almost like it is in the next room. I used to think it was a form of spiritual schizophrenia with word curses or clairaudience of my mother coming through the realm.  I used to think that because of my mother's sin of consulting psychics that there were familiar spirits around me causing chanelling.  

With ptsd my mother's voice was like a soldier who after the trauma of war could hear the Colnel's voice and the shells going off.

I know that I don't suffer from all the symptoms of schizophrenia.  2 Psychologists say it is ptsd chronic and not schizophrenia.  But my other Psychiatrist said it is mild schizophrenia without all the symptoms.  However initially 3 Psychiatrists said it was a -typical psychosis without enough symptoms to warrant the diagnosis of schizophrenia.  Maybe it is channeling and just plain clairaudience lol and psychic attack.   

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance