Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

drivenby
Casual Contributor

Your Mental Health Recovery Story In A Published Book?

Hi guys,

I have only just joined this forum, so very fresh and new here. Hope this is the right place to post this.

Recently I have published a book on depression in which variety of people shared their stories with this illness and I also had health professionals share their views on depression.

I am inspired to create another book on mental health and recovery, to break through the stigma of mental illness. Would some of you be interested to collaborate with me?

My idea is to get together true stories about these labels: bipolar, schizophrenia, schizoaffective, depression. Also techniques/processes that help with recovery and ongoing management.

What are your thoughts on this? Are you interested?

Thanks for your comments.

Let's design 2016 together.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Your Mental Health Recovery Story In A Published Book?

I'm not sure this is the right place to ask for volunteers for your book project, because we are an anonymous forum.  How would your book be different to existing books?

Ok, maybe it's not the best place then. Thanks anyway. I don't believe there is enough books on the subject and that there needs to be more awareness in the mental health area.

Hi @drivenby,

Welcome to the forums. Your project sounds great, congratulations on it. As has been mentioned, this is an anonymous forum so no-one hear would be able to identify themselves for your project. But that may not be needed? Maybe give some more details about how you see this working?

In the meantime, thanks for thinking of us and joining us here just as the year closes. Even if the book project doesn't work here, the forum is a great place to just generally share your experiences and read others. Happy New Year and hope to hear more from you. Cat Happy

I think it's a great idea (the book)with the wealth of people I've been reading on the forum whose experiences are real! Living with mental illness is a part of life! with a broad spectrum of stories-we each have a journey to tell and still to go?😇 Cheers for the new year! Be kind to your mind!

Thanks @Mazarita,
giving it a second thought, it would not be so important to have the real names of people. I guess that is not the important part of the message. As long as the story is genuine, it can empower others.

Well, here is another try...

If anyone wants to share their story, I will get it in a published book. Let me know via comment on this post. As it's all anonymous, I guess the best way about it is to either write the story here or point me in the direction of the already written story that you want to published.

I can give a few pointers, to give it a structure if it helps. Here they are:
1. When did you first experience some mental health issues.
2. Were you hospitalized? If so, how many times and if you want to share some insights about your experience.
3. What strategies helped you to overcome/deal with the issues most.
4. How did this experience change you? Who did you become as a result of this?
5. Who was the instrumental helping hand (or ear) in your story?
6. What do you think people who never experienced mental illness need to know?

Well, see how we go. Let's spread the message of empowerment.

Happy New Year 2016 to you all.

Hi @drivenby,

Welcome to the Forums. Your book sounds like a great idea, though as others have mentioned, this is an anonymous forum. While you're not asking for people to share their details to reveal their identity, you will not be able to share the details of the book as this may reveal your identity.

We have allowed others in the past, to use the Forums as a point of inspiration for creative personal projects - which you are welcome to do - but we ask that members refrain from using member's stories directly from here. Again, there are issues here with anonymity - if Forums members were able to identify their own stories in your book, your identity could be revealed. 

Perhaps attending some group meetings might be a great place to meet others who might be interested. GROW organises peer-to-peer meetings throughout Australia, so they might be an option.

I'm sorry if there has been confusion here. If you'd like more information about the 'ins' and 'outs' of the SANE Forums, feel free to read the Community Guidelines. They're a bit hidden so I can understand if you have not come across them. 

Again, welcome to Forums. 

CherryBomb

Thanks for your response CherryBomb. Makes sense. Shame, but I will take your advice. Thanks.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance