Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Babber
New Contributor

disclose or not disclose

I am need of advice as im not sure what to do next. 

Here is a little background about me 9 months ago i experienced depression, breakdown, burnout which led to suicide attempt. During this time i was terminated from my job due to behaviour aspects that breached my contract. i disclosed what happened (depression, suicide attempt, treatment) to the senior management where i was working and they are attempting to find a different role for me. 

The problem that i have is that my manager will not reference me as all they were told was that i was terminated for breaching contract. The senior management have clearly stated that all aspects of my termination are confidential and i should not tell anyone. if i disclose anything then i am breaching confidentiality and putting future empoyment at risk but allowing my previous manager to know the full story. If i don't disclose then i risk not be able to get a reference. 

My employee record would show a excellent record for over ten years then issues over a two week period then a termination. 

Im not sure what to do next live with the stigma of a unknown termination allowing rumor and spectualation to surround me or say what happened. 

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

Re: disclose or not disclose

Hi @Babber

I'm Scout one of the moderators on the forums.

Firstly, welcome to the forums. The Sane forums are a are a place where you can share your experiences and find support in other members. I have linked the community guidelines here for your review.

Take a look around, and there is a search function you can use to hear about other users experiences with mental health and employment.

Again welcome and happy posting!

Hi. Workplaces are always a difficult situation.

In this age of Employers just wanting to protect themselves from any legal issue, Confidentiality is a word so overused.

What you want others to know about your employment history is up to you. Your issues are yours not something they can seek to protect.

Its supposed to be a much more understanding world but the reality is still one of stigma to us. When it should be , How brave we have been to seek treatment and have ways of coping probaly better than the avreage "Sane" person.

Your life and work history are yours to disclsoe as you wish to.  Judge each situation on its merits rather than trying to get an absolute.

Stand up, be strong. If it affects you future chnaces they are probaly unsuitable work environments for you.

Thank you

Hi @Babber
Just dropping by to see how you're travelling.
Nik

Agreed. On the other hand, the more we 'out' ourselves the more we nornmalise what is, of course, normal i.e. very, very common. But yes, choose your battles, save your energy for the important things, enlightenment and pick carefully those worth fighting

@QwertyFitzroy  I just noticed you here and wanted to welcome you to the forums.

You are welcome to join in anywhere, or start your own thread.

A good place to start is the Good Morning  thread. It goes through out the day, and is a good place to get to know some others on the forums.

I hope to see you around.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance