Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

LostAngel
Senior Contributor

potentially going onto DSP Disability Support Pension/not sure whats next/uncertain

hello everyone well for starters I was asleep this morning when awkaken by a phone call from my employment services anyway long story short they think its possible that I may be going onto DSP due to my Depression ect I geuss I really dont like the label of quote being assumed to be disabled,even if it isnt a stigma I feel as though it is or thats just my veiw point anyway in order to sort this out Ill have to see my doctor again whom I havnt seen for a few weeks now ,and I am still yet to see Phychologist suggested by the doctor due to the cost involved and Ive been terrible at putting off appointments in general anyway I dont wanna be labelled ,I understand this may help with financial support but I still dont like it anyway its day I dont know 2 or 3 in lockdown and honestly been sleeping alot last night and this morning,Im on my meds daily,the weather is well either relaxing or at times annoyong,Im worried about paying off electricity bill thats due next week,in fact probly thats more of a concern than mental health currently,I was just thinking before how much I dont like people doing favours for me,but thats probly a bit of pridefull thinking ,who knows what might happen,just left with questions for now,Ill do some self care and maybe fix something for lunch ,life it seems is always full of waiting wether its waiting for things you do want to happen or waiting for things that you dont want to happen ,begs the question are any of us really as in control of things as we assume that we are ? or is that just an illusion to calm our fears of uncertainty,change and the unknown,I am safe ,stay safe everyone

7 REPLIES 7

Re: potentially going onto DSP Disability Support Pension/not sure whats next/uncertain

it sounds like a lot is on your plate @LostAngel 

Applying for DSP can be stressful. And I think you are right, there is a stigma attached with the DSP although there should not be because it's simply about getting the support you need. I know it can affect how we view ourselves though when this label is thrust upon us rather than voluntrily taken on. 

Accepting help and support can be a real challenge. Like you said, it could be pride or feeling a sense of control over things.

Hope your lunch is yummy! 
- periwinklepixie 

Re: potentially going onto DSP Disability Support Pension/not sure whats next/uncertain

thanks @periwinklepixie Heart

Hello @LostAngel . I read your post and can identify with your concerns about Labels and being labelled, and how it may impact the psyche because some labels are percieved as negative, making us feel lesser. 

I wanted to respectfully offer a potentially different viewpoint that might make the process you're facing seem less daunting. 

I had, and have, similar issues with these labels our society feels it necessary to use to sort us into manageable areas, it's often used as a weapon rather than as the support it was designed to be. 

Could you perhaps see this new process, of being offered DSP as a light being offered to make your life a little easier?

Could you maybe find a way to see it as a light that will push the shadows out further, offering you a bright spot to do what it is you need to do regarding finding a steady income and self reliance? 

Perhaps it will only be for a short time, to help you get back onto your feet as they say, perhaps it will be longer. 

I'll ask a couple of questions that you do not need to answer, but they might give you some ways to manage your insights. 

How do you percieve those who are on support pensions?

Is it okay for them to accept that help? Usually the answer is yes, of course, so I'm going to go with that one. Heart 

If it's okay for others to be on a support pension, in this case DSP, why is it not okay for you to accept the offer of DSP for yourself?

Are the reasons honestly valid, or are they governed by values instilled in you by those external to you. (hopefully that makes sense).

Another potential way of looking at the label thing is to broaden the whole concept of 'labels'.

It is the other value perceptions that people add to a particular label that make that label less, or more, desirable, to individuals.

Celebrity, student, doctor, professor, cleaner, tradie: they are all labels, titles, identifiers of some sort, but none of them speak of the person behind that label. Nor does the title of disability speak of the person behind the word.

I'll try to offer a different way to think of this. 

Labels can be useful. 

I label the spice jars so I know what they are. Of course I do, how would I otherwise know which spice to use when cooking!!! Trial and error is wasteful and disheartening. So, think of the payment as needing to be 'labelled' so the banking system can identify which account the payment is to come from, AND, which account the payment is to go to. Without a label, it could go to someone who does not qualify for it. 

I am not dismissing the pain, heartache and everything that goes with the derogatory associations often accompanying the term disabled, not at all. I am endeavouring to offer an alternative viewpoint that may allow you to think of the offer of DSP as something useful to you, at this time. 

I often use 'differently abled' when referring to my own situation, as well as that of others in that category. We do things differently. 

If you've been praying for, requesting, or even crying out for help, be it out loud or in silence, perhaps this offer of DSP is in answer to your requests or prayers. It is all too often really hard to accept a helping hand, maybe this is the helping hand you need to gain the best from your life, LostAngel. Heart

Was there a question in there?

'Potentially going on DSP' - I assume you've filled the forms and done the Cetnrelink things. So its a matter of waiting on Cenrelink. You can't force Centrelink into hurrying things up or making decisions - its a huge govt Agency.

Nobody likes being labelled by the govt, but if it get's extra money/support - maybe its a good thing

If your just starting on the Centrelink road when it comes to disability - it will be a long and tortuous one.

This is sort of a wake up call - we are all in control of our lives (unless you have schizophrenia), but we are subject to the systems of government, systems of corporations (banks,energy and internet providers).

You just lack experience my friend of the big world run by govt and corps. I will share one word - patience.

Hi there @LostAngel 

Well done on making the brave choice to apply for the Disability Support Pension. That takes courage and I'm proud of you so well done forumite friend👍🏻!

I've been on DSP since 2009 after the advice of a jobseeker agency and to be honest, although it might seem demoralising at first, it has made life easier for me in so many ways, especially financially and medically. I do have schizophrenia as well as depression and BPD, but I am in total control of my life financially, despite what others may think and I'm very grateful for that.

I do know that getting onto DSP is more challenging now with their new requirements but all I can suggest is that you keep on trying despite any setbacks you may encounter. Get all of your documents and paperwork together and submit them and see what happens. Just don't give up! 

Stay strong and take care!

Judi9877☺️🌸

@LostAngel 

Hi LostAngel 🙂

im sorry I don't have any advice on the Centrelink thing - I don't understand the processes and am quite scared of the whole thing. (Which is silly on my part because a low income health care card would be hugely helpful - I experience bipolar and spend $100/mth on meds - the system just confuses me so much).

I hope you get through the application process etc okay 🤞🌸

I think I understand in regard to the labelling - I have thought a lot about if I ever need to apply for DSP how I would cope with that in how I see myself and how I relate to others etc.... I've thought that I'd try to volunteer when well enough to have a focus? Maybe I'm just being hopeful but I'd like to have a go at volunteering for some sort of bush regeneration (because you get to be outside with enough space between everyone - not because of covid more because who wants to be squished up with people)...

I am sorry this isn't more directly helpful with your own situation but I guess I wanted to give you a shout out of support from one human bean to another 🙂🌸 take care and best wishes with it all 🌸

thanks for your support everyone definetly alot of food for thought ,different ways to consider things 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance