Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: rough time

the surgeon said I don't have any options. surgery is to extensive and might make things worse. no other treatment options except to take pain relief when I need it. have to see her once a month to make sure its not getting any worse till it reaches the 6 month mark and then that's basically it. told her about all the symptoms I was having and how it was impacting me. she told me to just live my life and theres to reason I have to talk about it anymore. she said that I knew what the risks were and it was my decision whether to go ahead or not.
I said what about the ability to chew, she said it may/may not get better over some time so stick with soft foods as I don't have to overwork my jaw. she said the speech would be unlikely that its caused by that. I said it only started after I had the surgery but didn't get a response.
didn't say anything about the lumps or frequent ulcers except to be careful not to burn my mouth or bite my cheek/lips etc.

she said reason I keep getting headaches is because my right side of my jaw is get really bad muscle spasms. she could feel it when she was assessing. use heat packs and pain relief.

just posted at the same time @Former-Member but forgot to tag you

I am also really concerned about some symptoms from new implant. trying to get in to see a gp in the next day but one that I know is ok. not going to a medical centre here again after so many screw ups. waiting to hear back from a clinic who is seeing if they can squeeze me in somewhere.

I have the kids till 9 oclock tonight. am in pain but I need to take one out shopping for her friends birthday party shes attending and do dinner and get them ready for school tomorrow. tired just thinking about it. had to do my horses and clean a yard that ive been meaning to do for 3 days but I just cant today so will have to do it first thing tomorrow morning after I take the kids to school.
Former-Member
Not applicable

Ohhh nooo @outlander ... no wonder you feel as you do now. That is a most unsatisfactory outcome to your apt with surgeon. How uncaring and insensitive of her! I have difficulty believing anyone could be so horrible about it. Damn ... that makes me angry! Is there any sense in talking to your GP about it, and seeing if they have any other options available to you? Maybe a second opinion is warranted? If its a decision based purely on cost, and not patient care, then there has to be more someone can do. Surely?

Former-Member
Not applicable

Posted same time again @outlander  and I only just got your follow up info on implant issues after I posted my reply. I have to go now, but will get back to you when I can, and respond further then. Only on mobile now, so very slow to type responses, hence the crossed posts. Really sorry sweetie that you just cant seem to take a trick. Despite every effort. 💜

Drs arent to good about dental things as i spoke to her once before and she said im better to talk to the dentist or surgeon @Former-Member

Somehow i dont think getting another opinion will change much. Even with surgery theres a high chance it wont fix anything
Its pretty shite, i was hoping for at least an option besides as she says 'pain relief is going to be your best friend'
Dentists cost a fortune if no health insurance and the public system really sucks im finding out

Sending you hugs @outlander for what sounds like a big blow with the appointment 🙁

Sending hugs also @outlander . All sucks big time. 💜💜💕💕💕

I have to agree with @Former-Member that her comments were pretty harsh and invalidating. Yes you might be aware of the risks and accept that's part of any surgery. But to suggest that now this has happened to you and you need to suck it up and get on with your life is really unprofessional. I'm so sorry you were treated like this. You don't deserve this attitude at all. ❤️❤️❤️

@outlander

Thanks @Maggie @CheerBear @Sans911  @Former-Member  💜💙💕
I dont really know what to do now. I dont want to live like this and being told theres no options and to stop talking about it is bringing on much stronger feelings. It feels like its my fault that its happened because as she said i knew the risks and still went ahead with it.

Ordered a pizza tonight and couldn't  even get through half a slice before a headache and pain come. Not that  i was eating anything but the topping anyway. Back to soups itll be.

I have managed to get into  a gp to discuss my concerns. Couldn't  see my gp or gynae, i really dont want to see another gp but i dont think it can wait till next  Wednesday in case its something more then cramping. 

With any surgery or procedure comes risk. Heck, even breathing is a risk. But you make what you think is an informed choice that might give you a better quality of life than what you have to live with. Risks we hope if they happen don't have a significant impact. But when they happen, and the impact is significant it doesn't need to be shoved down our throat that it's our 'own' tough luck. What is needed is validation and compassion. If possible referral to services like occupational therapy, pain clinics or physiotherapy to help manage these problems. None of which have been offered.

You can't live like this without further significant impacts on your health such as nutrional deficiency, muscle apathy and such.

I'm glad you're going to see a GP. Well done.

Hugs lil Sis @outlander 💜 💜 💜 💜
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance