Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

cloudcore
Senior Contributor

Anger

This fortnight we are starting our first emotion discussion talking about Anger.  

Anger is an emotion that we all feel from time to time. It is a natural response to situations in which we feel offended or wronged doing and is usually triggered by external factors, for example, injustice, humiliation, or illnesses, etc. It is generally a quick and intense emotion. 

The base emotion of anger can be felt in many ways. We often describe anger by saying “I feel frustrated, I feel annoyed, I feel infuriated”.  

Let’s use the emotions of anger and frustration as an example. They are often referred to in conjunction, however there are some underlying differences between the emotions and how it is felt.  

Frustration refers to dissatisfaction or disappointment with specific situations, ie when a person fails to fulfill their desires up to their expected level. It is a mix of feeling hopeless, discouraged, sad, and disappointed. It is generally slow and steady, and built up internally. This is just one example of the complexity of anger, and how it is felt.  

There are many different ways that we can feel and experience anger, and this is where the emotion wheel can help us to name how anger shows up in our lives. For this discussion, we are focussing on the red section of the wheel: 

feelings-wheel.jpeg

Feeling anger 

When we feel anger, it can impact how we act. This discussion is about exploring what anger looks like in our lives, how we feel it in our body, how we act when we are angry, and what we can do to cope with anger and frustration. 

When we can identify how anger shows up for us, and some of the signs we might be experiencing anger, we can take steps to manage the emotion and make better decisions when it comes to our actions.

This discussion will talk about themes such as anger and frustration, and may topics that could be upsetting or triggering for those reading along. There are questions we have planned ahead of time to keep this conversation safe and constructive, but if at any time you feel distressed, you are welcome to reach out to our peer support or counselling services for additional support.  

66 REPLIES 66
cloudcore
Senior Contributor

Re: Anger

Question 1:

What feelings on the emotion wheel do you most often experience when you are angry? 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tagging members who have shown interest in the topic: @Appleblossom @CogsWhirl @wellwellwellnez @BPDSurvivor @RedHorse @NatureLover @Arizona @Oaktree @BlueBay @SunFlowersHope @Clawde @JungleGiants @Bow @Snowie  

BlueBay
Senior Contributor

Hi @cloudcore  when i feel angry i feel - mad, let down, aggressive and frustrated.  I also feel, at times, explosive.

RedHorse
Senior Contributor

Hi @cloudcore 

Edited to add: Ignore below: I get it now, thanks to @BlueBay

Pardon my ignorance... Am I to answer the discussion question/s as a post in this thread?

Thanks again, RedHorse 🌹🐴

BlueBay
Senior Contributor

Hi @RedHorse 

I think what @cloudcore  is asking is - from the emotional wheel of anger write down what being angry means to you.  hope that makes sense. 🙂

RedHorse
Senior Contributor

Question 1: The feelings I experience most often when angry are frustrated, infuriated, annoyed and aggressive, provoked, hostile.

@cloudcore 

Arizona
Senior Contributor

Question 1:

Mad

Frustrated

Critical 

Let down

Annoyed

Provoked

Violated

Disrespected

Also, I often feel disappointed when I'm angry but on this wheel it comes under another word (disgusted).

Also, I often feel withdrawn or numb but I associate this with depression rather than anger.

I also feel jealous and resentful but not so much.

And also hateful but it isn't on the wheel.

SJT63
Senior Contributor

@cloudcore 

for me it's resentful, disrespected and voilated. I'm more likely to cry when I'm angry than with any other emotion.

Owen45
Senior Contributor

Excellent post on the subject of anger, very informative, educational and tips to take on board. 

Feelings related to anger that are common for me from the wheel include being distant, let down, humiliated, violated, mad.

There are also surges of energy when I have a realisation about the injustice of my circumstances for me or my loved ones, which can firm up into determination and resolve.  .

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance