Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: Exo's Exposé

Big hugs to you outlanderBig hugs to you outlander

@outlander 

@Exoplanet 💛🧡💛🧡💛🧡💛🧡💛🧡

WARNING - BORING READ!!!

I haven't said anything for a while, it just doesn't seem to be in me - but I want to
communicate . . . I think. Anyhow I've finished the mowing a while back now & the
grass still isn't growing back {haven't had any rain here, though it's been overcast,
the clouds have a browny orangey tinge to them, I think it could be dust}. I've started
trying to tackle my solar problem, I start that in my head; I see voltage as the volume
of energy in a tank, I see amps as the current or flow of the energy moving in the
outlet pipe at the bottom of the tank, I see watts as a word that describes a unit of
energy. As far as I can work out, to get good units of energy, you need good volume
that creates good pressure or a good push, that in turn causes a good current or flow
of the energy. I'm sure most people find that all thoughally exciting, I've got to say,
the fact that I've had a little click in my head as to what, watts, volts & amps are . . .
is a little exciting to me 😉 I even did a little sum & it worked! 😄 That was quite the
thrill for me; you multiply the maxium volts by the maxium amps & it give you the
wattage of your panel! Of course the problem on my roof has to be a little difficult,
I have 3 different wattage panels up there! It would be so much simpler if they were
all the same. I've read about the 2 main methods of joining panels together - you can
use parellel {positive to positive, negitive to negitive} & the volts stay the same, the
amps add up; or series {positive to negitive} & the amps stay the same, the volts add
up. Either way I can see as benificial, If the amps stay the same & the volts add up,
I'm imagining the energy in the tank would last longer {series} but I see the 'tank'
of a solar panel as empting every night when the sun goes down. So having the amps
add up I think is more benificial to me, as I think that would help the batteries charge
faster + I have a 12 volt inverter {I have a 12 volt everything, apart from this
computer} so I need the volts to stay the same. Here's another thing I've 'clicked' to,
the reason a 12v panel {or battery for the matter} is higher than 12v, with panels
they're about 17-18v, is because no matter what the energy flows along it's going
to be slowed down & as such lower it's voltage; if the source was exactly 12v &
whatever gadget {in my case an inverter} is also 12v, by the time the source power
gets there it's under 12v & would not be good for the gadget. I've also read that when
joining odd panels together the finished system will lower to the lowest panels
specifications. My ex, who put this system together, had been an electrician, decades
before & in another country - but he must have had some idea what he was doing.
I've read you can use both parellel & series, which must be what he had done. I
haven't seen anything along the line of wiring to suggest a resistor {I think that's
what it's called that lowers the voltage for a 12 v system with a higher voltage
input} I can't do that, I need the simplest & easiest method. I'm thinking parallel &
removing the lowest spec panel {there's a 130w a 120w & a 50w}. I'm thinking the
50w panel, I'll set up another separate system & use it to charge the battery I use for
my water pump. I no longer have the lights or pump connected to the main system,
I run them on separate batteries that I charge on separate portable solar panels, as
the ex's system began failing soon after he left. I've replaced or re-done just about
everything in his system, when I do these panels, it will be everything. That's why I
made my own little system, as I knew his would eventually fail. The system I made
is much simpler, having just 1, 250w panel going to a controller going to just 1,
130A, 12v battery going to the inverter.

Anyhow, what a blurb! Anyone might think I've been trying to understand solar
systems 🙂

Love to all that need or want it Heart

@Exoplanet  Hey Exoplanet how are you doing? Is super wet here but will go out for early morning walk with neighbour regardless :p. I hope you are alright. Give your babies a scratch behind the ears for me please. Take care. Love peaxxx

I'm doing ok @greenpea  & hope you are too Heart Your a braver woman than me, walking on a wet morning! I have had some rain here, it's not super wet, I haven't checked the tank, there's nothing in the dam . . . but there is a puddle in the driveway {well there was yesterday afternoon}. It's wonderfully cool & the weirdest thing is it's staying cool through the day - not the norm for where I am. I've had the fire going a couple of times now 🙂 

Love to you Heart@Mazarita  Heart @Sophia1  Heart @eth  Heart @outlander  Heart @Shaz51  Heart

& all of those who need or want it Heart 

@Exoplanet 💛💛💛💛💛💛💛💛💛💛💛💛💛

I have some exciting news! I've booked a holiday for a week, next month! It's nearly twice as expensive as what I was looking at & it's not the beach I had in mind - but I found a cottage that I can have the dogs inside 🙂 It's a super-flash 'cottage' in an area that looks like suburbia on google maps - but it's booked & payed for & I'm going! The 'hosts' property doesn't have a road between it & the beach! Though their house is between the cottage & the beach, so I won't be able to see the water from my front door . . . the water is right there though! It really will challenge my 'ways', but with my personal circumstances & the 'new norm' circumstances of the world, now is the time for me to get out there! It will be the longest I've stayed away from home, apart from the 2 weeks I spent at my sisters after my operation (where the dogs had to go into boarding kennels & it was all a bit of a blur), something I've wanted to do for many, many years. A full week, 7 days & 7 nights! So now I have the excitement of preparing for a month 🙂 I want to take the car into the city for mainteance & a couple of new tyres, I want to get a new lock for my front gate - I had a truck turn up at my front house gate a little while back! I couldn't believe it & asked the man had he broken the lock to get in?!? He said the lock was un-clicked & I know it needs the key to make it click into lock . . . so it's time for a new one! I also want to take the puppies into the Vet & have their nails trimmed, & of course I'll start thinking about the little treats & extras I want to get when I go shopping 😉 I'm pretty sure {though I'm sure I'll check many times in the next month or so} that the cabin has all the plates, cutlery, cooking needs, even bedding that I will need; so it won't be like packing for camping - though I'm also pretty sure that won't stop me filling every nook & cranny of my car with something that just might be necessary for my week away 😄 Right now it still doesn't feel real, but there's that tingle of the joy of fear, already starting to bubble under the surface 🙂 It feels a bit like anticipating escape, out of my boring flat-line existance & into the swirling tornado of the unknown. 

Love to all that need or want it Heart

@Mazarita  @eth  @greenpea  @outlander  @Sophia1  @Zoe7  @Shaz51 

Hi @Exoplanet  lovely to hear from you.  How exciting!  I'm also making loose plans for a bit of time away with my old mate from the territory.  He's chomping at the bit to do a trip as soon as the borders open.  We'll spend some of the time camping at bro and sil's farm probably - it's free and beautiful.  J has an amazing camp set up with all the bells and whistles.

Sounds like you're in a really positive frame of mind.  I know how much you love the planning phase of your trips.  Look forward to hearing more as the weeks count down.  

@Exoplanet  Hey Exoplanet your holiday adventure sounds wonderful. Can the pea fit in one of your suitcases?:) . I hope the weather is beautiful for you and that you have a fabulous time away. Great to hear from you Love peaxxx

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance