Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: Husband dealing with wife suffering PTSD !!! suggestions on how to cope please !!!!

Hi @Songs58 just checking in and seeing how you are travelling this week - hope your week is ok and that you are being gentle and kind to yourself - sleep well 🌠

Re: Husband dealing with wife suffering PTSD !!! suggestions on how to cope please !!!!

How are you going @Songs58 

@Songs58  you might find helpful support from @Silverfox who also has a wife with PTSD.

Dear Songs58, I can relate to you very much. I have a wife that suffers from PTSD since 2011. She recovered in 2013 and had another breakdown in 2018. It seems that this time her condition is more severe. It has been very hard for me and our family. We got married in 2006, both of us have been married before, my wife was a widow and I a divorcee. Our marriage has been great until 2011 when my wife had a mental breakdown due to family hardships. It has affected all areas of lives, from our marriage, intimacy and the relationship with our both families. Anxiety, depression, and PTSD is a complexed illness and it takes a lot of therapy and time to heal. Like I said it takes time to heal. Your wife needs help to deal with her trauma of her past and you need also support for yourself. It is no use that both of you become victims of your circumstances. What is helping my wife in C.B.T  Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, what I have done also, is allowing her to talk about what is troubling her and reassure her that I am there for her. I might not like is, because I hear it every day ongoing. It saddens me hearing it all over, but I prefer that she talks about it and not shutting me out.  I have noticed, that when her children come to visit her, she seems that her mood changes and able to engage in the discussion. Regarding your wife, It could be that your wife is not able to talk to you about it, because it could that she feels ashamed of herself for what has happened to her and find it difficult to trust you or anyone with her past, trust needs to be built before she will able to open up and start to deal with her trauma. What might help is a counsellor or a Therapist that deals with Trauma or a support group where she feels safe to be able to open up and share. Love overcomes all obstacles and fears.  Just be there for her and leave the door open for her to come to you. Don't give up, and please get support for your self. That is what I have done and keep on doing. I hope that my feedback and suggestions have helped you in any way. It takes a lot of courage and support to keep ongoing. Regards, Silverfox.    

Thank you Darcy
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance