Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

chibam
Senior Contributor

Mosquitos... In Winter?

Am I the only one finding that I'm practically being eaten alive by mosquitos this winter? Okay, that's an exaggeration, but there wouldn't be a week that goes by where I don't either see one buzzing around my house or get bitten. And it's not the same one over and ove again because I've killed at least half a dozen of them.

I don't think I've ever seen a mosquito in winter before around here, let alone the numbers I've seen this winter.

I'm not in tropical QLD, either. Where I live it gets quite frosty in the winter and this season's been no exception.

Anybody else having a similar experiance?

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Mosquitos... In Winter?

might have had the odd one, more in autumn.  i had a fly though if that's any help

@chibam  Hi chibam I saw this new gadget that you wear on your arm like a watch. it repels mozzies safely without poisons. It recharges in 30 mins (I cannot remember how much it cost or how long it lasted) but I thought about trying it out. Saw this on You Tube. Might be worth a look.

@chibam @greenpea @plasmo 

Mosquitoes  - no - but I believe they might be around 

I have blowflies and in July in Melbourne  - unheard of I am sure

Dec 😷

@plasmo wrote:

might have had the odd one, more in autumn.  i had a fly though if that's any help

Yeah, I saw one back in about May, I think - which is insanely late in the year for us to be seeing flies around here.

@greenpea wrote:

@chibam  Hi chibam I saw this new gadget that you wear on your arm like a watch. it repels mozzies safely without poisons. It recharges in 30 mins (I cannot remember how much it cost or how long it lasted) but I thought about trying it out. Saw this on You Tube. Might be worth a look.

Yeah, those sorts of things have been around for ages. When I was a kid, I remember reading a book about how you could build the basic mechanism for one of those things yourself. The trick is knowing which ones genuinely work and which ones are just moneyspinners.Smiley Frustrated

@chibam  yes if I come across it again I will let you know the brand so that you can have a look. Mozzies are awful and with the warmer winters the more we will experience mozzies. Do you keep folliage to a minimum around the house and get rid of any stagnent water around the house?

its water not temp re mozzies think @chibam  I remember getting eaten alive by them in cold in queensland forest in winter

I haven't seen any recently but I did hear on the radio that a mosquito starts every day with a choice to be violent....so I don't like them!!

@chibam 

@greenpea  @TAB 

It's funny you should both mention water. Short answer to your question is that, no, I don't know of any stagnant water around the place. But over the summer, we developed a stain on our roof that's obviously come from some newly-developed leak that we haven't been able to trace. So is it possible that there's stagnant water hiding somewhere in our rafters? I can't rule it out.

Perhaps water outside or nearby @chibam ?
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance