Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Powderfinger
Senior Contributor

My big news... I think????

@Maggie @SJT63 @Anastasia 

I really cannot remember what made me think of this idea. I am sure I will remember at some stage. It was simply just some thoughts I was having. For many years, I have fixed broken things. China and ceramics mainly. It was on the odd occassion, and not really looking for something to fix, it just came along, it was broken and I really wanted to fix it. I have fixed some electricals too, nothing that needs rewiring at all. I never asked any money for it, I just did it. 

I am very patient, I like to stick with something and find a solution to the problem/s, I do not give up too easily and I actually enjoy it alot. This is in regards to mending broken items/ electricals I am talking about. 

I (think) I was just sitting having some time out and thinking about things. It was quite sudden that this idea started forming in my head. It was a strange experience, it was just kind of flowing, so I went with it. 

I decided to put a note up in a local group I am on. I put my idea out there to see if there would be any interest in it? 

I certainly was not ready for what came back! I had 39 people comment! It was insane. I had never had that before. I was quite overwhelmed with the response. I was thinking maybe one or two comments perhaps, but I got 39!  I was so very much supported with the idea from everyone and everyone was so positive about it. I live in a small regional town and it certainly means a lot when you have the locals support you in a venture. 

Anyway, moving along, it happened all so fast. Next thing I know, that night I am creating a place for the locals to go to, to come and see me regarding my idea. 

I think right about now is the time I should tell you about my idea. I had the idea that I was going to start mending things. Broken items, small electricals and so on. This is the idea I put out in the group I am in. I do mainly focus on materials though, such as china and ceramics. I will do glass as well. It is my main focus I should say. A couple of months ago, I came across a book called Kintsugi. I actually want to buy it because I was enjoying reading it. 

Kintsugi is the Japanese art that teaches that broken objects are not something to hide, but to display with pride.

It is an actualy art form that repairs broken objects, and then infuses the broken reapired parts with gold. (Not real gold) 

Items that have been broken and are sentimental do not have to be thrown out and are most of time able to be mended. 

By mending broken items, it gives me the chance to use art as therapy and is part of what helps my healing process through difficult and painful times.

I call it art, because it is art to me. 

So the following day after this has happened, I am up and ready to go, just like that. People had a place to go, I had started a mini side business and I was off and racing. This all happened in less than 24 hours! That was the 17th November. 

It is still the 26th for me, the 27th for most of you at this time. In the last ten days I have had my first two customers. 
Customer 1 is coming to pick her item up tomorrow and customer 2, I went and picked up her items yesterday. I have had to stem the flow sadly but I am offering to put people on the waiting list for when jobs are coming to a close and I can take more on. 

If that is not enough, I have also been asked if I do workshops. I have responded that it will be something I look into later next year, so some are asking to be put on the email list I have offered, so when I am ready I cant put out some emails to gauge what interest there is. 

I really have had no time to connect with myself about all of this happening. It was so quick and all systems go when it happened. This last week has been immensely challenging and the work itself is very time consuming and you do have to problem solve. One of the great things about this though is people are not in any great hurry. 

What I have started is really changing people's lives and my own. I actually still cannot believe it is real. To abide by Sanes rules, I cannot post the name of my business. It does have great meaning, but I cannot share it sadly! I need to slow down so that I can figure out what I am doing and to catch up with how I am feeling. 

I am attaching some photos of what I am currently foxing and my next job! The Stein is what is being picked up tomorrow. The vintage oak chairs are my next job. There are three. The one chair that is still intact is going to be used to restore the two other chairs. I am also working on another ceramic job too, but that is a freebie, and for a friend. Other than that I have put all jobs on hold, until I cant catch up with things, as there is so much else to do other than this. I am trying to balance things more. Vintage oak chairsVintage oak chairsI will send a photo of the stein tomorrow when it is complete.

So, that is my big news. I probably have not written this how I would have wanted to. I am just truly tired. 

I havn't really had anyone to share this with. Of course, I have told a few people. It has been in passing though, so no real long conversations have been able to happen. It's all good though. I still think my story is somehow a bit magical, so I am really just sharing the magic. Ramble. xx

Stein 6.jpgStein 4.jpgStein 1.jpgStein 5.jpg

107 REPLIES 107

Re: My big news... I think????

How exciting @Powderfinger go you!!!!!

From little things big things grow ❣️

Waiting on pictures to open. I just want to say I'm proud of you for taking the leap of faith. X

Hello also to @Maggie @SJT63 👋🙂🙂

@Anastasia 

Hi, thank you 🙂 Thanks for pointing out the leap.of faith. I didnt even think.of it. I need to be careful I do not self sabotage. Working on it. I'm.not always aware I'm being very hard on myself. I am aware of my self talk to myself. Trying to change that. 

I'm also changing the people I have around me at times. Not always do they make me feel good, so I barely see them. I don't need people that are really negative towards me and dismiss things I say when trying to have a conversation in general. I know it's not about me, it's about them. So, I leave them to it.

Trusting my gut more. It always is right.  

Now and then I'm thinking, what have I done? I'm thinking the photos will come through at some point. 

Thank you for the hugs too. Xxoo

@Powderfinger  That is so exciting.

I have always loved kintsugi art. Mosaic type maybe, not sure. I did try a mosaic last year. I enjoyed the process, but I need to work on it. It’s not as easy as it looks. Like everything I guess.

It sounds like you are reaching out to many others who are struggling. Who knows where to from here.

Briliant idea. Can’t see pics yet, but I’ll come back later.

All the very best. Thanks for sharing. ❣️❣️

@Anastasia 💕💕

That's fantastic, Powderfinger! I'm so glad for you! You might like to check out The Bower in Sydney: https://bower.org.au/ - you may be able to pinch ideas. 🙂

@Maggie 

Thank you. Yes, all art is a work in progress. I've reached out yes. I'm looking forward to just working on the chairs only. I need to spend time by myself processing things. I haven't had that yet. 

Thank you for your support. I'll get onto a team member about the pics. 

@Community 

Can you please approve my pics so they are showing? Thank you. 

@Gwynn 

Thank you for your support and being happy for me. I checked out Bower briefly. I absolutely love it. Thank you!!!! 

I can see pics now @Powderfinger . 

@Maggie 

That's good. I've finished the job and customer has picked up. I'm feeling a bit low. I'll post some pics of the finished job later. X

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance