Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

LJ13
New Contributor

Anxiety and difficulties with change causing problems in my relationship

I have always had trouble with sudden changes and have understood this to be a bit of bipolar trait. I moved in with my partner of 2.5 years in January. I have never lived with a partner before. He is generally a very kind and patient man. But he has trouble sticking to plans and times, which I know is completely ok because life is spontaneous. He will say "I am going to have A drink after work" or "just a quick bite to eat" or this evening's "yeah I will probably leave same time as you and meet you at home" (that was at 8pm it's now past midnight). This has caused so many arguments. He thinks I don't want him to go out or be social. But that's not true. He has gone out before and told me "it'll probably be a big night" and I've said "ok have fun" because that's the plan. He feels like he's being controlled. And I feel like he's not even trying to understand the anxiety I have around sudden change. I've always been clear with him about what support I need and I always try to consider his needs. I am at a loss as to what to do. I believe we have a future ahead of us if we can get past this. We are great in every other way. Please help!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Anxiety and difficulties with change causing problems in my relationship

Hi @LJ13 Welcome to the forums.

I'm not sure I have much advice to offer, but I have bipolar 1 and though I didn't know it was a bp trait this does not surprise me! I also struggle with changes of plan and understand where you're coming from. It is hard to manage the anxiety.

I have often fallen into the trap of reacting in these situations and it usually doesn't help. You may be better on that score. I'm learning to wait until I'm calmer to discuss it.

A previous partner saw me as very inflexible and there is some truth to that, but it was very disheartening that he made no effort to meet me halfway. I have worked on flexibility with my psychologist and found mindfulness helpful with this. It didn't solve the problem entirely, but it did help with the anxiety once I was more aware of what was going on, and accepting of the difficult emotions I experience.

I don't see you as controlling. It's reasonable to ask for more consideration. All the best.

Hi @LJ13

I have to say that after reading your post a few red flags stood out for me. It's true that at times plans change and we can get abit carried away and be away longer than first estimated - but if your partner is doing this "a lot" knowing fully how this effects you and continues to do what he likes anyway - it sounds like he is putting his needs first and is not fully committed to the relationship. I am sure your partner has many endearing qualities as a person - but when it comes to serious commitment it requires more - self sacrifice and commitment on each person behalf to seek the welfare of the other equally to our own. That's the test - anyone can be kind and patient if all is going their way.

I suppose it comes down to what you really want and need out of this relationship that's reasonable - and all you stated in your post is totally reasonable. Nothing to do with bi-polar or not being able to accept change according to what you posted - quite normal needs that we all have. You seem to automatically blame yourself and/or your illness. What if it is he who is unable or unwillingly to change his ways? Is he able to offer the commitment to make this relationship work? It sounds like you are willing. So what really are the problems here? Perhaps address it from this angle as well..

This is always the tough part in relationships where one seems to give more than the other. It can be worked out if both are willing to do what it takes to make that happen - and it has to be two sided for success. Hoping all can be worked out.

@LJ13
I don't think it's just about your MI. Anyone living together in a relationship (lovers, parents/child, flatmates) - it's common courtesy to let the other person know if you will be going out and how long for.
Is this a once a week type thing?
Or is this happening multiple times a week? If so, I suggest you sit down when feeling your strongest and explain it's not about control. It's about being courteous enough & caring enough to let the other person know your plans.
I think I would be really annoyed with his behavior too & I don't have bipolar.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance