Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Former-Member
Not applicable

Complete Domestic Violence situation

How to proceed when you know of a household where toxic verbal abuse in destroying all people living in the household but no one is seeking help?

The situation involves an elderly couple mother who have had toxic relationship for years. Son lives at home and has possible borderline personality disorder and addiction issues. Son is convinced his roll is to stand between his father abusing his mother, but does this by continually abusing his own father verbally. Its a nightmare for all involved.

If im not part of this family but am friendswith the son. I am the only person outside of the family who knows about this. I want to know if have a duty of care in knowing about this if i have to report it? And also if there are any non-police services that can intervene or assist? Does the request for assistance have to come from the people involved? 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Complete Domestic Violence situation

Hey @Former-Member - firstly, welcome to the SANE forums.  It sounds really distressing what's happenig in your friend's family and I imagine it would be horrible wondering how you can help.  I'm wondering if it might be helpful to have a chat with a service that works specifically with people around domestic abuse and violence.  You may have heard of 1800 RESPECT and they have a 24/7 support line where you can speak to a qualified professional about some of these questions.  Here is their website too, in case you want to check them out first - https://www.1800respect.org.au/.  Take care of yourself, as it can be hugely stressful being witness to someone being abused.  I hope some of this has been helpful and again, it's great to have you as part of the forum community...take care 🌻

Re: Complete Domestic Violence situation

My suggestion is for the son to get phyc help and possible medications for him self. And leave his parents. His parents will sort themselves out. If son stays his mental health will deterate.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance