Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Dissociative Identity Disorder Carers?

@outlander @Faith-and-Hope @Determined @Former-Member @Shaz51 ...

Heading up to Mum and Dad's part of the world again tomorrow. The aged care home has, understandably, recommended caution when visiting, if there's any chance you might have been exposed to the COVID-19 virus.

Hubby and I both have mild cold symptoms... so has Younger Daughter. We're pretty confident it's not "The Virus"- I've had a scratchy throat for nearly two weeks, so that in itself almost confirms that it's "just a cold", and a very mild one at that. But to play it safe, Hubby and Younger Daughter will stay home, and it'll just be myself and my sister traveling up. She's had holidays booked for months so that she could do this visit, and can't simply put it off for a few weeks... plus by then, I wouldn't be surprised if the home is in full lockdown. She's well enough, so should be able to visit them, they might say "no" to me, but even if they do, it's not a trip she should have to do on her own. So even if I'm just traveling and "at home" company for her but can't see Mum and Dad, that counts for something.

There's the added background niggle that Mum and Dad are smack bang in the highest risk category. I would not be surprised if it's a few months before we're able to visit them again, if what's been happening overseas is any indicator, and who knows what might happen in that time.  Am very glad we both went there together a few weeks ago, and that I was able to be there for Mum's surgery.

💜 @Smc  .....

Will be thinking of you while.you are away @Smc  and with everything you are processing. 

Thinking of you @Smc , sending up a few extras for you and yours.

Me too @Smc  ...... 🙏💜🌷

Me three @Smc  🙏

Hello All... back late last night, very tired.

I was pretty spot on about what happened re. visits. I seemed to be symptom free on the trip up, to the point where I concluded that the ongoing scratchy throat was probably just me being paraniod... so I visited Mum and Dad with my sister on the Sunday, keeping a cautious distance as much as possible just in case. Sunday night my nose went gluggy, not too badly. The sort of mild cold symptoms that you'd normally completely ignore, but yup, that meant I couldn't visit again, not even with a  mask on.

That was harder to take than I'd expected. Both my sister and I were in tears afterwards. She couldn't face going in alone, so we all went "home" to Mum and Dad's house. ("All" as in Hubby and Younger Daughter did come up after all... but also couldn't visit.) A good friend of ours was willing and able to go with my sister to visit both the next day. I was very keen that she visit them as much as possible while she could.

The day after, I went with in the car for company while my sister visited, but stayed outside. While sitting outside the home, a phone notification came through that the home would close to all visitors except on occasional "compassionate grounds" from that evening. And my sister walked out with one of the nurses to discuss the need to clear out part of Mum's room so that they could get a lifter in there when she came out of hospital. So our family got special dispensation to go in, carefully masked up, so that we could do that job. Bonus of that was that we got to briefly visit Dad too, but with five feet of caution between us, and no hugs... 😞 Would really have loved to give him a hug, but completely understand and agree with the reasoning behind not doing so. And Mum won't be happy that we've removed some of her craft odds and ends, but we were careful to choose things we haven't seen her using, or reduce things she does use to a selection of the best (nicest patchwork fabrics, favourite colours of yarn and suchlike).

And that was it. Yesterday was the trip home, and we have no idea when (or if, if we're going to be honest) we'll see them again. BUT we were there when it mattered, and when it was possible to visit them.

On the other front- Older Daughter had at least one repair trip to hospital while we were away. I've re-emphasised the importance of her keeping herself out of hospital as much as possible. There's a very real likelihood that in the weeks/months ahead, hospitals will be too busy with more urgently life threatening situations, and may not be able to attend to non-life-threatening situations like hers until well after the ideal treatment window. If there's no beds free for plastic surgery, there's nothing they can do... Could get ugly. 😞

Thinking of you @Smc .... 🌷

@Smc 💚💚

@Smc 

Uncertainties = 😟

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance