Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Does my daughter have Schizophrenia?

remembering when my son at 22 years old was not talking normally last year, he was taken to hospital by his friends. I flew over and spent time with him.

his housemates were very freaked out and I spent one night listening to them and debriefing them. they then acted very badly to my son as young people can do. My son moved and now he is associating with people I think are worse - in their behaviour and supportive friendship.

this is my son's decision. He has to manage his own life.
but as I know my son, I had a big long think and via reading on how to support people suffering times of mental ill health....I asked my family to send texts to him once per week/once a fortnight and say that he is very loved. Though he was and is unstable, I know that he can cope with that.

Once per fortnight/ once per month, I text him, 'Thinking about you. Call or text anytime, Love Mum.

In Late June, he gave me permission to visit for 6-7 days.

What you will be best to do is to stay very strong with Doctors and hospitals.
Do not let them undermine you. You know your daughter the best. You know what is best for her.

A health plan on herself would be very good for you to write up for personal use.

Staying calm is always good. these things happen. drugs, pot are a reality. My son's reality is that he loved smoking pot. But it kick started a Train of mental ill health that he is currently on.

As a loved one, you have rights. I wonder how you can get hold of the mental health act in your state and the rights of the loved ones and carers when you are confronted with mental ill health in your family.

1. I asked my son in June this year well you know what I first said. He had gone to the GP and had gone to see
Doctors in hospital but had done nothng else.
when I arrived , he started describing to me how he heard voices.

I said. Oh. ...Um, this is not normal talk, ....do you think it's normal talk. He said no. I said. Oh. Do you have medicine given to you?
He said. Yes.

Oh. Are you going to take it?
no.
Oh. Why?

side effects.

Oh.

um, how about if we pick it up and put it on the table.
After two days, that happened.

. the first day, He took me to the Art Gallery and we Surprisingly met one of his University Professers. We spoke to him for 5 mins where he told me that Luke knew more about Psychotherapy than him,.....and he spoke to My son saying that he should just relax and take his time with his degree.

We played backgammon for 7 days.

when I flew home, He gave me one of his guitars and I came home. He texted that he enjoyed seeing me and I haven't heard from him again. That was beginning of July.

Very infrequently, I hear from my family, usually from my youngest son what my oldest son is saying to them. I heard that he is seeing a Psychiatrist and he chose to manage his life by working more.

Every step Inave described to you has been caught with problems. My boyfriend who has been very inspirational is now going through his own problems.
He is angry and very tired. He is coming around.
my family have consistently interfered and bothered with my decisions.
I choose to let it go and get on with it and keeping myself safe at all times.

It there is light.
there is light with your daughter. she trusts you.

hope this has helped. Apologies it's personal but no other way of describing it.

Hi Rover,

I havent been online for a couple of days but how are you going?

Hi @Rover 

Just thought I'd check in and see how things are going with your daughter.

I also wanted to let you know about our Topic Tuesday session this coming Tuesday.

We are running a session on called 'What can you do if the person you care for doesn't want help?'

I'm not sure where you all are in your journey, but it would be fabulous if you could join us at 6pm AESDT this coming Tuesday to share your experiences, give tips and also pick up a few. Basically we just want everyone to come together to talk about this difficult issue.

Mind Australia will be joining us to also share their thoughts. We will kick off at 6pm AESDT here

I hope to see you there!

Nik

Hi,

My daughter has now been in the mental health facility for just over 3 weeks. She is still in denial of any illness but her dillusions are real and her mood swings seem to be getting worse. Just tonight the nurse on duty told my husband that they suspect she is not actually taking her meds. She has literally exhausted us as a family. I will definately try and do the Tuesday forum. I have so many questions to ask but am so tired. Thanks to everyone who has offered advice.

Dear Rover,
Take care. It gets easier.
you write like your a lovely lovely Mum.

Your story of your daughter is remarkably similar to that of my brother. He is in his late 50's now after a life of drug use. He does not take drugs any more, is on medication and has schizophrenia. He previously also told me of the Free Masons Control of the world, messages sent through the tv, a microchip being implanted into him by doctors and suspicions of dentists. Also how people and corrupt police were monitoring him and new what he was thinking. He lived with my parents and never left his room which was always dark. Eventually after a crisis situation he was assessed by the mental health team and put on medication. My parents became elderly and we moved him into his own flat. He is very happy now and functioning quite well! He still thinks there are free masons controlling and plots but he now feels he has some control of his life. For years I have felt unable to help him but have kept up the contact and support. When the time came he trusted me enough to help him move out on his own and support him to live independently. I think it's important to be there for your daughter and maintain the contact. Don't push too hard and hopefully as the trust builds you may be able to support her towards medical care. If a crisis occurs and the medical team is called she will have you to be her support. I'm also having similar problems with my son now! I feel for you as it's hard being the parent of adult children with mental illness! I hope everything goes well and she gets the help she needs!

Thanks @Lilly2 

Your post is was comforting to read. My daughter did have a crises and was hospitalised for 4 weeks and put on medication. She lasted just over a week when she got discharged and then decided she didn't need medication and yesterday she told me she was going to get high on News Years eve. She has never had any insight about her illness and refuses to live with us. I am very supportive and will continue to be. I miss her 'old self' so much though! Hopefully like your brother I can manage to give her the help she needs and she will lead a happy life.

Hi Rover

Im diagnosed with shizophrenia in 2007, I also felt like that during my episodes, feel like being watch , afraid to watch tv cause they bring personal messages and sarchastic , everthing is conspiracy, i can relate to that .

your daughter needs immediate help, u must figure out how to bring ur daughter to a physchiatrist , as the only people she can rely is Family .

The good thing is shizophrenia can be managed, people with shizophrenia can have a full live , caŕeer and family . The first episodes always the hardest one , be strong, like me , my family stand by me. I rely on them whenever i have episodes , just remember family is the only hope she got.

Regarding treatments u can consult to doctor , in my case they gave me 2 option .
option 1 is medicine , option 2 is ECT (electro convulsive therapy) the need of the treatment is depending on how severe is the episodes.

I live with shizophrenia 8 years since my diagnosa, i can live normal with my medication and havent got any relapse for 4 years , so be strong and please see a pyschiatrist immediately .....

Good message, Benny,

Thanks for your honesty. I will be mindful of what you have written when speaking to loved ones who are going through difficult times.

I found this a good post to read.  It is not good to hear that others families and relationships are suffering, but somehow I can take comments from these others who also put themselves on the line.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance