Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: EMDR - Has anyone done this

Hi @Zoe7 , thank u for ur support. This is a reply to ur post on the 21st. Saw pdoc ystrday. He doesn't seem to get the state that I am in. Nobody seems to be getting it. Amongst other things, my sleep has been up the creek -2 hours last night, not much more the nights before, and they don't seem to b taking that seriously enuf which surprises me, given how important sleep is. My symptoms r out of control and I have a heap new symptoms that I didn't hav when I came in here. It is sheer torture. 

Thanks @Flying_Hams  X (re ur post on 21st)

Thanks @Zoe7 , things still ridiculously tough here.  In hospital, talking of discharging me Tues even symptoms r out  of control and  sheer torture.

I honestly cannot believe they want to discharge you @Doglover and that nobody seems to be listening to you. It is obvious from where we are sitting that you are not in a good way and nobody is hearing you. Have you tried writing it all down and handing it to the pdoc - just a suggestion as I am totally lost for what else you can do Hon. Disgusted that you are being put through this with seemingly no help in sight Smiley Sad

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi im going to start emdr weekly. Im on a low dose of medicine which ill rely on to help me restabilize after it. However im constantly reacting to control freak women because i had a very abusive mother & im unable to have a relationship due to originally molested by my brother which then escalated into loads of sexual abuse as an adult. Im kind of tired of my past stopping me from moving forwards. I truly hate being frozen when things happen in the present. So im going headstrong with this to resolve it. Not sure if i can keep u posted on how i get on but id like to. Fortunately im ex service & theyll pay for all my treatments. Ive found in the past talking about it totally useless & only retraumatized me but im with a well experienced psychologist that i like. Think u really have to feel safe with the therapist to do this most importantly. U do have to be ready also. Im diagnosed with complex ptsd along with bpd (trauma diagnosis) im very strong willed tho & am going to use my strength to conquer this. In saying this tho im in a good home position. I have online friends for support. No debts no family dramas. Stable home. No work stresses or debts. So its the right time for. Think u need to look at the big picture & ask yourself am i im the right position now for this. I certainly wasnt yrs ago.

Hi @Former-Member and welcome to the forum Smiley Very Happy

I think you are right - you have to be ready to revisit those things in your past in order to try to work through them. It is great that you have a good psychologist that is experience and your trust - that is often half the battle alresdy won. It is also great that you have such a positive attitude to getting past things and have faith that you can not only do that but move forward in the future as well.

I did EMDR for a while until it got too much for me. I was costantly being re-traumatised and my pdoc and GP made the decision for me to stop - that was the best decision for me at the time and since we have been working more on living in the present and leaing the past behind me. Sometimes reliving such trauma can make things worse but you seem to be in a great place to do that so I wish you a lot of luck. I have no doubt it is going to be hard work for you but you seem to have an inner strength and a good psych that will help you through that. 

I hope we can help you along your journey with support here too. It is a wonderful community, filled with many people from different backgrounds and experiences but what holds us together as one is the genuine care and compassion we hold for esch other. Welcome to that community @Former-Member and I hope you find it as supportive and encouraging as I do Smiley Very Happy

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi again
Im teaching myself piano (ill take on a teacher later, already read music well) & i also do theatre singing training+ i exercise very regularly & have started teaching exercise classes. I find these things to keep me in the now present time. Oh i also attend meditation classes. Im hoping whilst doing EMDR weekly my own activities will b enough to help me restabilize back to the present. Yrs ago i wrote my memoirs. It was horrific to write but if i can do that im sure i can do an hr of EMDR weekly. Think its very important to have ur own hobbies that bring u pleasure & possibly a sense of achievement to help remain in the present.i left my family at a young age & spent my entire life without any support. I was very fortune to have found music & exercise. Yes its hard disciplined at times but it does give me a sense of achievement & grounds me. Im 55 & have been single nearly all my life. Theres been a huge shortage of friends support & love but music & exercise have certainly kept me alive & they help me stay focused on my future goals.

It is great that you have such passion for things and that they keep you grounded @Former-Member It is reallyimportant to find that balance in our lives - something I am still very much working on ...but getting there. A bit like you and music I have my sport that I love. I had to give up playing a lot of sports because of a neck injury but I do still love watching. There are others here who have a passion for music and singing and they also find it a wonderful outlet so you are in good company.

I have also written a lot about my life but it is yet unfinished. I got to a point that it was too hard - but with a little more stability I hope to get back to it one day ...not yet - it isn't the right time. I have also returned to work this year after a couple of years off. That takes up most of my time but I am enjoying it again so that is a bonus.

Like you I have been single for most of my life - the result of a very abusive relationship. I did try to to get past that and meet new people but I could never trust anyone again. I am more than happy being on my own - it is a safe place for me and that is important. I have my own home and my fur babies and that is enough. I live quite a solitary life - but that is also my choice. I have had friends in the past but not many I could say I could confide in or trust and those that I could have either moved away or we grew apart (usually because they have started a family). 

I know EMDR has helped some here - @eth has found it particularly helpful so might chime in here too. I did not not find it at all helful but as you have said - it does need to be the right time ...and the right therapy for each individual. It seems like you are going into it with your eyes wide open and with a goal in mind so I hope it goes really well for you.

Im making all my appts on a fri so i have the weekend to process it all. I really do hope it helps. All the research suggests it works & many have had success with it. The therapist is going to go slowly given as he put it im a real survivor. Once a wk is enough tho i feel. As u said ive gotta maintain the balance. Ill certainly b posting my progress tho for anyone else wishing to try it. Think its a fairly long journey too. Not a quick fix at all. A lot of yrs of damage. I made it thru my darkest yrs. Shame technology wasnt up to speed then as i certainly had no support thru my hardest yrs off meds & very suicidal. Hopefully things like this prevent some suicides in the future. I have a bros that hung himself. Think my younger bros has had many attempts also. Ill keep u posted on how it goes. This therapist is going to firstly prac going to my safe place in my mind & prac a breathing technique as when im taken back i pant.so this fri will b working on that as prac. I gave him my timeline of events (which was painful to write) so hes got the big picture to work from. He really praised me for doing it. Hes also praised me a lot for all ive done to help myself. Its amazing how praise goes a long way. No other therapist acknowledged what ive done with no1.

This place has helped me in the past when I no longer wanted to go on @Former-Member I have had so much support to get through some really dark times and could not have done it without the forum. It is a unique place where others not only know what is going on for us but support us through it as well. It is hard to know what we are going through unless you have been there so having others understand is invaluable.

As I have said earlier - EMDR can be very effective but it does not work for everyone - I do hope it does for you though. It seems that you have done all the ground work, have trust in your psych and have a plan - and that is important. Do you have support over the weekend if you need it? It can be quite a draining and triggering process so having that support to call on would be good. Utilise the helplines if you need to as well as support from here.

A handy hint - if you are posting to someone it is a good idea to tag them by typing in the @symbol and starting to type their name - a drop down box will appear and you can then select the member you are posting to. They then get notified that you have posted. I nearly missed your post today and I wouldn't want you to feel like you are alone and not being heard. It is really good to have you here and I'll be interested to follow your journey Smiley Very Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance