Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Oz-E
New Contributor

Family BBQ and sexual abuse

I had my partners family over today for a bbq when some of her family began talking about bill cosby and the sexual abuse allegations against him - I heard ideas thrown around that the women enjoyed it. Why would it take so long to say something? They are just after money.

I was sexually abused by my father for over 7 years. I knew it was wrong but my

mother knew of it and there was no help from her.. so as a teenager why would I think other people would help me.. my whole family know about it now but I am still basically told to just ignore it and leave it. I have no evidence that’s why I can’t do anything about it.. I have nothing but my mental scars that I’m just forced to deal with. 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Family BBQ and sexual abuse

Hi @Oz-E

Welcome to SANE forums. I hope you find this a supportive place.

I'm so sorry that you had to experience such horrible abuse growing up. That discusion at the BBQ would have heart wrenching. The ignorance, insensitivity and vulgarity of some people is just mindboggling.

I hope you have had some support to help you deal with what occured. Please get in touch with the following services if you need to talk any of this through...

https://www.blueknot.org.au/

or...

https://www.1800respect.org.au/

And just a tip with using the forums, if you are replying to someone or wanting to notify or touch base with someone, place an @ before their username, as in @Oz-E

All the best

Joe The Lion

Re: Family BBQ and sexual abuse

Hi @Oz-E

I’m so sorry for what you went through as a child. And also fir what you heard at the bbq. 

I understsbd your anger at hearing these comments. I would be furious. I was abused as a child by 3 different guys and 45 yrs later I am still suffering. 

It makes me so angry when people make comments like that. They have no idea. Do they know what affect the abuse has on a person?  

We the poor innocent children don’t deserve this, we would never ever have enjoyed it. It’s nit our fault. We were only children. 

As @JoeTheLion the contacts given are great numbers to hsve. I’ve contacted Blue Knot quite a few times over the years and they have always been supportive. Pls use them if you need to. 

Take care 

B.B. xx

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance