Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Somethingā€™s not right

Re: Getting Help šŸ¤

@Whitehawk  I am not going to go into details but I never said every single person who works in the field is bad but i have met an awful lot and i mean A LOT and it has been about 5-10% max that have been anywhere near decent and again that is in relation to my issues and i hope that others can feel positively but for me the mental health system has done so much damage and has hurt me so badly i will NEVER ever be able to trust it or have faith in it again. that is just me and again others i am sure would say differently but for me searching endlessly for that one good person is tiring and not worth the effort if it happens it happens but i cant hold out hope because that is too damaging for me. I know you have to keep a positive look on these things I get it its your job but please dont tell me to trust it because i cant. 

sorry to everyone else on this thread i dont mean to bring my drama into it but that stuff really hurts and it is upsetting for me to be told to just try again because i have given them too many chances and the system just isnt for me so please @Whitehawk  dont say that sort of thing to me again. 

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Teej , it's true, we do have to be ready in ourselves @@@ to  step  forward into sustainable  recovery.. But like you said, its Nearly impossible do when  in crisis, which unfortunately is when we seek out help. Kinda end up stuck in 'talk therapy' (venting). I can relate to being 'slow on ththe uptake' and taking forever before 'the penny drops'  too. Helps if you have a therapist gifted in explaining things. 

Its possibly a stigma thing oo because nearly everyone with personality disorders struggle getting help. After my BPD diagnosis back in the 80's, the visiting registrar told me "there's not much we can do with people with your diagnosis"  The team got cranky that he said that, took my hope, but here I am 30yrs later - I think he was right. There is no cure, only management. 

I'm glad your psychiatrist listened to your impassioned plea and you weren't buffed off to Public System. I'm so pleased for you the psychotherapy has been life changing. You so deserve every bit of help. 

Iā€™ve had a mix of helpful and not so helpful mh practioners. 

I guess MH is all too often a chronic condition (like diabetes) that ends up just being  managed rather than cured, with the occasional setback they tweek meds and treatment. But the mind is more complex than the body .Now I'm  older (and less of a priority to the system) I think it's a case of 'suck it up' now, weve done all we can for you. And maybe hey have. I just wish I had energy / motivation.

Guess I have learned many skills along the way (from my own   research and therapy and hard work). And I have my pills...I  just need to dig up a few of those old strategies to practise, when i unpack boxes etc. I'm tired. 

Rang a private hospital to try get into one of their 3wk programs. But at $1,000 A DAY! and no private health insurance... šŸ˜ŸšŸ˜­

How can it cost that much? That needs to get looked at... Audited. Or at least Medicare could do a gap payment before I end up in emergency again, or worse. Umm, unfortunately the later is not as important as the almighty dollar. I donno. Getting help is pretty hard. 

I'll keep my psychology apt for next year, but gosh, how do I get through till then? Not that a 50min hour once a month comes close to meeting my need. 

Sorry moderators if it sounds too negative for the forums, but I think it's widespread problem and we need a voice somewhere. Especially if it helps us find a way. fwd.

hi there @Former-Member 

Good on you for posting such a frank account of your struggles. The MH system sure has some way to go to be effective and affordable for many people. 

all the best

Whitehawk

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance