Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

AGZ88
New Contributor

Guidance/Advice - Depression, Anxiety, Addiction

Hi All,

To cut right to it; I am at a point where some issues have tipped over the point of being able to manage on my own and really in need of some support/guidance/advice on a next step.

I'm someone that has battled bouts of depression/anxiety for nearly a decade, (I'm 30 now) I've been on the same medication for 7-8 years which has really helped, I have used meditation in the past as part of a treatment solution and when I'm keeping fit and staying healthy I do well.  My most natural state is to be a really bright, happy person...

However about 4 years ago now I had a pretty severe hand injury which stopped me from Boxing and training for some time (my biggest passions) so certainy in the last 18 months especially the void has very much been filled with drugs, and other bad choices. Lading to more anxiety, depression as you would expect but for the very first time in my life there has also been suicidal thoughts, a place I never saw myself getting to. 😞

I desperately do want to be in my old routine and doing what I love but I've created a habit and pattern of things over a period now where it feels like a bit of a vice I am having trouble getting out of.

Has anyone had the same experience and bounced back? What are some things you would recommend doing? People/resources to see etc? Any advice is appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Guidance/Advice - Depression, Anxiety, Addiction

Hi @AGZ88

Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your experience.

You might find it useful to use the search function to find subjects that interest you.

Also, if you would like to send a message to another member please use the @ mention function like the one I used to send a message to you. Sometimes, if you don't directly said a message to someone, your post may not be seen straight away or even missed by  other members. The forum members are a great resource with lots of experience, and they are a caring and helpful bunch. 

I hope you find the forum useful.

All the best,

SleepyPanda

You cannot box due to your hand,  is that right @AGZ88?

So you may need to come up with some other exercises you can do.  High cardio.  High Intensity. Kick boxing,  cycling,  dancing, etc. 

When the urge comes to use,  try swapping it for a 20 minute exercise routine.  Keep putting off that urge - 20 to 30 minutes at a time.  Each string urge,  do something physical. 

Thanks for responding @utopia 

To answer your question; no I can still box and have been over the years since and haven't had a problem since in terms of reinjuring etc not to mention given all clear by docs etc.  This long down the path it's just a giant mental barrier in my head now which I feel hampered by and I get anxiety over the feeling of that cheating me out of what I love.

I'm a huge lover of martial arts in general, taekwondo was something else I've done and I've always been the gym nut 4-5 times a week person since I was 16.  But as I mentioned before that is the sport I just love and crave so the feeling of that getting taken away has just made me frustrated over the time which led to drug use instead to fill the gap...

Appreciate your advice on that though, I've actually downloaded an app to help out with things so positive steps..

Sorry about that.  I got the message wrong @AGZ88.

But glad to hear you've downloaded an App that might help. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance