Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

BPDBiPolarMum
New Contributor

Health Funds

20 year old with existing conditions - Bipolar and BPD requiring private health fund, any suggestions on which health funds ? 

Their public health pyschiatrist has suggested with possibly 2 hospital intakes per calendar year.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Health Funds

Hi @BPDBiPolarMum 

Welcome to the forum.  I can't offer any advice, I'm sorry.  Our son has so far relied on the public health system to support his recovery from Schizophrenia/OCD.  Fortunately, so far we have been able to access psychiatry and a sub acute admission in the public system when needed.  

I'm in NSW.  I understand the 'system' for mental health services varies a lot across Australia.  

I hope someone can offer advice on their experience with private health insurance.

All the best. 

Hello @BPDBiPolarMum and welcome.

Get in touch with iselect. They will do the work for you and let you know the best option/s. Then call the fund and confirm what you have been told is 100% accurate.

It will be pricey. Ask about co payments/ excess/ maximum stays/ time between admissions. I had one fund and my boy had to wait for memory 30 days between admissions. Detrimental if someone is in crisis. The new fund has no wait between admissions, no copayment, no excess, no surprises. 

The Government introduced a once in a lifetime waiver on waiting periods for private health psychiatric hospital admissions if needed. Ask about it so you know you can use it if you need to.

Research clinics/hospitals - it's a mine field. The word private doesn't mean they are without fault. My sons had 14 admissions (I think) so by all means ask if you have questions. I'm spent now so a quick response I am sorry but happy to help if you need. Just pop @ in front of my name to send me a notification. 

Hope that helps lovely 🙏💐💞

I'm reluctant to give specific advice as do not know your situation @BPDBiPolarMum but something I found helpful was checking the restrictions/exceptions when comparing cover.

For example, some funds will have excellent private hospital cover but the psychiatric is restricted. So those restrictions could mean you have to share a room or as @Anastasia @Tinker67 have suggested, there can be hidden restrictions like times between admissions or multiple excess charges. 

I also think it is a good idea to have a hospital preference in mind as they may be able to guide you about providers they have worked with. That's basically what I did. And I was able to find an option I can afford with 1 500$ excess per year so even if I have multple admissions during a year, including day program I still only pay one excess payment of 500$ for the year. 

Best of luck with the search! It's a bit stressful to say the least! /

- periwinklepixie 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance