Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

2qwerty
Senior Contributor

How do I get stress leave/or use sick leave for mental health?

I dont mean one day to "get a breather" I mean, substantial time off. 

My employer has been awful, these past few weeks, and I cannot take it anymore. I can't imagine stepping foot into that torture chamber ever again. 

They sat me down to discuss my work from home situation, and manipulate me into a 3 day a week in office schedule, after initially suggested 1 day, then they said 2, but then 3 but "oh, we forgot! You take leave and work 4 day weeks! Well, how about we compromise on 2 days! How convenient!" Of course, I didn't handle the discussion well, and it turned into a lecture about how bad my attitude is, and how I need to monitor my behaviour like everyone else. I can't grumble when they "clean" my desk during a forced abscence (due to them exposing our team to covid), lose my personal items, or abuse me by telling me to "not be anxious about it" and triggering me. 

It's not even about covid, anymore. I can do that. It's not about the work. I can do that too. I just can't be there, knowing ME is WRONG. Everything about me burdens them. The whole discussion was a manipulation, and they kept lying to my face. They want me in 5 days a week, but are doing me a "favour" but then after I tried to express how difficult it is for me, suddenly their need to have me present in the office purely for a communication and collaboration reason (that isn't even relevant because THEY DON'T WANT ME TO SPEAK TO ANYONE ANYWAY, they tell me maybe using all of my annual leave to distance myself from covid would help me "get through it"as though my mental health will suddenly recover. They think this illness in my head is a cold, that'll go away. It won't. The "bad attitude"they talk of...is my PERSONALITY. THEY WANT IT GONE. I can't make that stop immediately, if ever. I...can't be there. I can't talk. I have to control my tone because everything is a little "rude" or "sarcastic" I AM IN AGONY, EVERYDAY, AND I HAVE TO SMILE AND BE PLEASANT AND CHEER DURING A PANDEMIC OF ALL TIMES. When no one is calling me into an office to talk about this at any other time. Only now when I am already on high alert and suffering every cking day.

I hate them, and I can't be there. But Im expected back, probably now, I don't even remember what they asked me to do. I'm supposed to tell them what I want, after they told me my request of one day in the office a week was a "dictatorship" and then told me 3 days with one as annual leave was sufficient, and then told me to tell them what I WANTED to do. They can't "reasonably"turn me down, but I can't "reasonably"turn them down either...i don't know what they expect me to do? There's nothing between those two suggestions. 

I just need to drink for days on end. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: How do I get stress leave/or use sick leave for mental health?

Oh @2qwerty  let me start by giving you a big hug (if that's ok) I so so do feel your pain.... I have walked a mile in your shoes ...  

can you GP/phsychologist/Pdoc help you by writing a letter of support??? 

Maybe there is a Work health and safety or staff wellbeing representative in your workplace who you can get help from 

your health is more important than any job... 

There are no representatives in the office or anyone i'd speak to now, this conversation involved management and HR and they were painfully unsympathetic.
I don't even know how to negotiate, when I'm not allowed to speak honestly anymore. I don't want to go to work tomorrow but that'll require a medical certificate, I guess. They'll see right through it.

If my health was more important, this conversation would never have happened to begin with. @Lostandalone 

Sending you strength @2qwerty 

@2qwerty thinking of you.

A DR certificate or letter advising of your condition will definitely help your case.  Under WHS your employer has an obligation to provide you support and HR should be aware of this as it can have implications upon them later.  Depending what state you are in will depend on what relevant WHS authority you can seek advice from.

Be strong, I know it seems tough, but there are people here to support you.

Sorry to hear times have been so rough @2qwerty 

yes, as DJMasters said if you have a medical certificate (which you can get from a doctor) then you could use your sick leave. It does not have to have why but just that you are unable to work at until whatever date due to health reasons. Some work places have provision for the amount of time you can have without a certificate in your workplaces leave policy but this is usually only a day or two.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance