Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Lily8
Casual Contributor

How do you know if you have disordered eating?

I realise this space is possibly just for people who have been diagnosed with an eating disorder in some form but I really need some advice and currently don’t have anyone that I feel comfortable talking to about this.

I have always had a really obsessive and negative attitude towards maintain a strict healthy diet and ive noticed more than ever that I’m constantly concerned about what I’m earing whether I’ve done enough exercise to warrant eating etc. lots of the time I get extremely frustrated whenever I’m forced to eat foods I don’t want to ( such as going out for dinner) or when someone else cooks for me instead: all this causing me to feel so guilty about eating even the smallest meals.

I could keep listing but I guess my point really is how do I tell if these things are just “everyone feels this way” or normal, I don’t know how i start a conversation about needing help when I don’t even know if I do or if I’m just being stupid.

Im scared that if I ask anyone about this I will just come across as attention seeking- I don’t know if others around me will understand at all.

If anyone has any advice or knows how to tell the difference between ok vs not ok I’d really appreciate it.

10 REPLIES 10

Re: How do you know if you have disordered eating?

Welcome to the Forums @Lily8 and thank you for sharing your story. It's important to know that any type of disordered eating is not attention-seeking. You may be interested in reading more about this subject with this SANE factsheet and the disordered eating and dieting page on the Butterfly Foundation's website. You can also give the Butterfly Foundation a call on 1800 33 4673 (8am-midnight, AEST, 7 days a week).

We understand that it can be scary thinking about starting the conversation, do you have a trusted GP that you can chat to about this?  

Thanks @Ali11 for the links. I currently don’t have a current GP that I speak to regularly  but I may be able to organise an appointment with someone.

Glad that you found some help in those links @Lily8, make that appointment with that someone, it sounds like you really want to help yourself. What are your plans for the day? Heart

@Ali11 I haven’t got much planned for the day, i was going to go for a bit of a walk but it’s been raining to much unfortunately! What about you? 

Good idea abandoning that walk to stay dry @Lily8! Nothing much here - it's so chilly today and struggling to get warm. You mentioned before that you exercise, do you play team sports or just enjoy the gym?

Yes I agree it’s freezing @Ali11. At the moment it’s just the gym for exercising. In the warming months I get out for a surf or bike ride but sadly with the weather being so cold I’ve decided to give those activities a miss!

We may be a bit jealous about your surfing skill @Lily8! When did you learn to surf? It definitely would be too cold to be out there on the water, so the gym is a great replacement! 

Haha I’m not very skilled at surfing yet @Ali11 I have just started teaching myself over the last couple of years. After spending lots of time body boarding I thought surfing would be a great new hobby!

@Lily8  honestly if you are questioning it there is probably something going on. most people dont obsess over food they just kind of eat it which i find weird cause that has never been the case for me.... there are a lot of people with body image issues that is fairly normal to an extent everyone questions that stuff but if it is obsessive and you cant ignore it even when you want to and are busy doing other things then it probably does need to be investigated a little more. sorry if this sounds harsh or something i dont mean to be but i have a cold so ideas are bouncing around in my head but that doesnt mean they are coming out the same when i write it all down. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance