Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Jessten
Senior Contributor

How to know what the right decision is

I'm struggling to make a decision which is really playing on my mind. I feel like I'm coping however I feel like I have been given yet another diagnosis and once again given the option of inpatient services.

Where I'm struggling is whilst it sounds like it may help I'm freaking out as I'll be away from all family and friends who are my go to during this COVID situations as they won't live in the same town .

I'm also worried about how I'll cope as I'm worried I won't feel safe in a new environment away from everyone I know as the last time I visited a mental health unit I freaked out.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: How to know what the right decision is

Hi @Jessten ,

I'm not sure of your diagnosis and circumstances (and don't need to know) so I'm writing this very generally. 

Have you asked your support people around you whether they feel an admission is a good idea for you just now? They may have a good outside view of how you are travelling. 

From reading this post I felt that ultimately you know you best and if you really don't feel like an admission is the best strategy now then maybe that's ok. However if your support people think it's a priority now then that might be worth considering. What are  little nagging thoughts in the back of your mind thinking? 

I wish you the best for whatever you decide. 💜🤗

Re: How to know what the right decision is

Hi @Teej thankyou for your response. I have asked my support people and some say yes it would be a great idea as the program recommended has some strategies that may help but they are concerned I will freak out. 

My biggest support person was there when I was admitted last time and she saw how much I struggled as I wasnt given an option and everything was taken away with no preparation so I freaked out. 

I personally treat everyone with respect as I know noone ever knows what someone else is going through but when I hear yelling or anything I go into my shell and freak out. From this admission they recommended going somewhere else for longer period of time 

I guess where I'm struggling is if I don't go then I may never learn coping techniques on what to do when I need to use them but on the other hand if I do go as I've always had someone guiding me on best thing to do am I going to freak out and just go into my shell and not gain any benefit. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance