Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

grace22
Contributor

I miss my husband...now, I wonder if he had suffered a mental illness

I met my husband in 1996/97 and I was hugely attracted to him because he had been someone who had been broken and wanting to better his life.  I have suffered from anxiety and a little depression all my life and I was drawn to people who were similar.

But my husband was different.  He had struggled with severe substance abuse and I knew nothing about substance abuse. He was able to overcome it all, which was amazing

We eventually married and I believe we both grew as a couple, supporting one another and understanding one another. We both got good jobs, bought a home, started a garden, and got involved in volunteer activities

While we may have been happy together, we suffered some great tragedies, which were out of our control, infertility, loss of a baby, other traumas whereby husband lost family members, his siblings going to prison, family dysfunction, etc.

In 2016, my husband literally walked out the door, after telling me to go outside to get the washing from the line. It was five months after my mum passed away.

His behaviour changed radically.  He didn't want to talk to me, or ask questions, while he was leaving. He was angry, and had previously shaved his head. And, only a week before started slapping me and getting angry with me. In all our married life, he never laid a finger on me. He blocked me from facebook, and his mobile so I could not contact him.  He called the police on me and told them I was harrassing him, when I was only wanting answers and for a chance to sit with him over a cup of coffee and talk about why he had suddenly left me.

The long story short, he was on his way to another country to meet this other woman and wanted to marry her.  He seemed to lose touch with reality, becoming obsessed with this new country and culture. He could be a little like this in personality, easily fixated on hobbies and other cultures, etc.  But, when you are in the marriage, you just accept the person as they are and you never expect them to chase their dreams.

He virtually just disappeared and travelled o/s, gave up his job, got a Credit card and spent $$$$ on travelling to this country, staying in fancy air bnb's, motels(one motel resembled a motel in the movie, "Somewhere in time'(this was a fav movie of ours).  

When i tried to contact him, he would scream at me and tell me to leave him alone.  He said he was following his dreams now, and felt trapped in the marriage.  His behaviour became quite strange. He had stopped sleeping(he had told me that) and believed he had found his dream woman.

This behaviour continued for some time. He had no remorse for me or the fact I was broken hearted because i had lost my greatest friend and love.  He met up with strange people overseas and, i remember him telling me he sat on a beach with a stranger, eating fruit.  

He then divorced me and quickly replaced me with another woman and married her soon after.

We had been together for a very long time and i could not imagine life without him. He suddenly had no care for my struggles, or where i would live (told me to get a home beside a river).  He virtually turned into a monster.

I have had some minimal email contact with him. He remarried and is working in Australia, and spends all of his waking time painting outside.  He says he is very happy because he is following his dream and now wants to live in a house with no windows.  He latches on to strange, creative people, talks on social media about being more like a 20 year old then a man who is nearly 50. He sleeps very rarely, works all night, paints in the day, flirts with numerous women(even though married) and does not care about the lie we shared together.  He never sees his mother and has moved on from all the friends we had together and his friends who were once close to him.

He dresses like a young man, which makes me think this is a MLC, but he is very odd in his thinking and ideas.

i am a stranger to him. He says, 'you're just a friend, someone i know".  

At one stage, he wanted to buy land in the bush and have an old home put on it.  He is up and down in moods and has a tonne of energy.  He can paint a beautiful landscape in 30 minutes.

i still love the man I was married to. I am on my own now and often wonder what happened. Of course, he blames me for all of his unhappiness and says he was unhappy in our 18 year marriage.

i wasn't perfect but i loved him and supported him through all the loss, grief, etc.

i look back now and wonder if he did have a mental illness.  My dr feels he could bipolar(his mother has major depressive illness/manic episodes and his brother has agitated depression.

When i first met him, he was overcoming herion addiction and told me he once contimplated jumping from a bridge.

But there were many years of us together where he was well and happy.

He did have impulsiveness towards gambling but we were able to get help for him.

iI miss him and just wonder if I could have done more.

Some days I blame myself for failing him.

20 REPLIES 20

Re: I miss my husband...now, I wonder if he had suffered a mental illness

Hi there @grace22 and a big welcome to the forums 😊 

I'm one of the peer support workers here in the forums and it's always lovely to meet new forumites and share our stories. What you've shared with us here shows a lot of strength and even courage to be open and talk through what you're feeling. I can imagine it must have been quite a shock, and I'm wondering whether you have any support around you to work through some of the emotion that brings up for you?

Also going to tag a couple of our Community Guides to help give you a big SANE welcome:
@Shaz51 @NatureLover @Snowie @Faith-and-Hope 

I hope you find the forums to be a safe and supportive place to share your story and connect with like-minded folk @grace22 

Rhye ☘️

That's a lot @grace22 you poor thing and I can relate to those feelings of "what if" and "is there more I could have done". Sometimes we just have to sit with those uncomfortable feelings. I hope you have some support for yourself as I imagine grief would be a very real feeling, after 18 years. 

Here with you 🌼

Hi @grace22 and welcome to the Sane forums.

It is easy to blame ourselves for others. To put the blame onto us and think of the what if's. I think that this is a normal reaction to have.

Unfortunately we cannot control what others do even though we have done all the right things. It is definitely not your fault and you certainly have not failed him. If anything, he has failed you.

I hope you find the support you are looking for here. Looking forward to getting to know you better.

Snowie xoxo 

hi and thanks for accepting me here, and thanks for your kind words of support.

i have had a lot of counselling, but probably should go back for some more.

Still dealing with a lot of trauma and grief.

yes, I agree and thank you.

i loved him a very long time, it's a huge disappointment that this has happened.

we suffered a lot of trauma, too, which I haven't outlined...loss of his family members in tragedies,

etc.

Hi @grace22 and welcome to the forums.

I had a somewhat similar experience with my x and have now had a couple of years in litigation because he took all our money with him and has kept a coercive con trio over my life that I am still working to break free from.  We were married for over 3 decades and have 5 kids.  x “suddenly” changed personality and value system, like a mid life crisis and then I found there was another woman with kids in the background of our life ….. nothing was what it had seemed.

Look up Narcissistic Personality Disorder and see if it rings any bells, then maybe discuss it with your counsellor ?  Learning about this condition, which registers as mental illness, has brought me a sense of peace.  x is still psychologically and emotionally abusive using the legal system which sanctions it in that they can’t really stop him, but I am finding that with an understanding of NPD and it’s patterns I can stand outside most of it and just keep objectively working towards my freedom.

Take care of you ❣️  Let him go.  I am so pleased for you that he cut ties …. “mine”

didn't, and it’s the pits.  He won’t / can’t “change back”.

Thanks for reaching out!

And, sorry to hear you have gone through a similar journey.

Yes, I know a great deal about NPD and have studied it in great depth, also sociopathy.

My ex h came from a dysfunctional background and had a mild criminal past, so I suspect

sociopathy(no remorse,.lying, deceitfullness, etc).

He ticks all the boxes of NPD as well.There were a zillion red flags.  I just didn't see them!

I know enough now about the condition.

It's just a terrible thing to have to go through, when my childhood, and growing up years, were innocent, carefree and lovely and then I get to experience this.

My ex H hates me and happy i am out of his life.

Apparently, they pray on people like us, who are most likely, empathetic.

That is my story too @grace22.  I didn’t see the red flag.  They were fleeting and rare, and added to that he was a workaholic so he was rarely with the kids and me other that coming home to sleep for a few hours in the middle of the night, when the kids were sleeping, and we mostly saw him at family occasions with a lot of other people around, and he didn’t stay long anyway.

Now I know what NPD is he ticks all the boxes, and in hindsight I can see that he didn’t need to keep the mask up for long or often.  When he did start to spend more time with us he created chaos, upsetting the household routines in an entitled way and used the excuse of being super-busy, so he could come through like a cyclone and leave me to put everything back in order.  Then it became about going out a lot, and travelling, and speeding everything up so there wasn’t any rest time, like being on a show ride that starts out fun and then becomes increasingly excessive and sickening …..

✔️✔️✔️✔️

And he has addictions, ones that are considered socially acceptable or even admirable if you only get a glimpse of them.  Then the rages started.  Hot and cold ones.

Yep, so glad he’s out from under my roof.  Now I just need to get him as far out of my life as I can.  He is someone else’s problem now, and I reckon the love-bombing has worn off and the fault-finding and agitation has started …..

As a dear forum friend said, “not my circus, not my monkeys !!”

sorry to hear.  

Sad though, as we usually spend a lifetime trying to keep everything together

and loving that person for who they are, but, behind, the scenes, there's another person

leading another life.

All the best to you.

Love that saying, too, 'not my circus, not my monkeys'

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance