Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: I need some reassurance

Sending you strength and clarity @Eden1919   It does sound like things are a bit rough for you lately.  When things get like that for me I see my psychologist or sometimes my GP if I can't get in to the psychologist.  Reaching out here is good and brave and you clearly have support here and you're valued as a forum member.  However, sometimes we need to reach out offline too.  Do you have those kind of supports you can talk to?

@Appleblossom @eth  Thanks, I do have some supports offline but I can’t access them whenever I need I only see them on scheduled appointments and they are hard to get. Plus even if I see them it doesn’t actually help with the particular issue I am having. There is literally nothing that does work to actually reduce the issue or get rid of it. Meds and therapy don’t help at all and lifestyle changes have done absolutely nothing as well. It is just something I have had to live with and ignore my entire life. I just have to keep getting more tolerant and more resilient to keep dealing with it because there is no other option for help. And I have accepted that but it does get lonely and exhausting at times but that is ok I suppose I just have to try and manage myself like always. I just wish I could talk freely about the issue but I cannot because people genuinely do not understand and refuse to really try and understand from my point of view instead they always seek to make me like them and that just hasn’t worked and probably never will. 

Hi @Eden1919   sorry to hear you feel nothing can help.  " I just have to keep getting more tolerant and more resilient to keep dealing with it " is a good attitude to have, but just maybe there are other therapies out there that could help.  I don't know what sort of thing it is that you feel you have to live with all your life, but if it's traumatic events in the past that's part of the problem for me too.  I have had many psychologists over the years who just kind of kept me in a holding pattern and out of hospital but I didn't make any real progress.  I was starting to think my efforts were in vain and pointless too.  Then I found the one I see now.  We have worked on quite a few of my past events with EMDR (after spending a long time laying groundwork for that) and it's making a big difference for me for the better.  Triggers are less frequent and less intense and I manage them much better.  Just thought I'd tell you about it in case it's worth a try and relevant for you.

@eth  There is literally no other therapy or thing I can try at least not in Australia, my psychiatrist doesn’t know what else to try, I have seen a few psychologists and they all have said they don’t know how to help other than offer just talk about it. And I have asked so many services and asked for advice and everyone says they can’t help and there isn’t anything else I can do. The problem is the thing is not something that operates in this world as such and is not something that others experience or can really understand without being able to experience it. And the thing is real so I can’t get rid of it but it is really hard to explain and there isn’t much point there is literally nothing I can do about it. 

@Eden1919 

I do believe there are aspects of life that are beyond rational explanation.

Heart

There are many ways of approaching it, but not usually within the medical model.

Smiley Happy

Some level of self acceptance is necessary for maturity and the way you put it sounds very mature to me.  

Smiley Happy

Sometimes consciously recognising an aspect of ourselves, and naming it, can help limit it from getting out of control and sabotaging our lives.

Smiley Happy

I am not going to pretend to understand, because people are often a law unto themselves, and the kind of things that speak to that spiritual or otherworldly aspect of being alive ... is so varied ... with so many interpretations.  Different music, religions, philosophies etc ... all matter ...

Smiley Happy

Also fitting in or at least getting along with others is important too ... but how far we go ... if there is an aspect we deny important things ... is an issue ... to be sorted.

Keep Taking Care of you

Thats taking Care of Business.

Smiley Happy

@Appleblossom  Yes I think the medical model doesn’t leave room for certain things which is fine but it does make things hard for people who that doesn’t work for. 

@Eden1919 

Smiley Happy

and there are quite a few of those people.

@Appleblossom  Yes there are actually a lot of those people. It is hard to make a system that works for everyone but there is always ways to improve. 

Yes @Eden1919 

Smiley Happy

I think of the Sane forum as the tip of the iceberg and a lot of people are there but not posting because they dont feel they fit in.

@Appleblossom  Yes as a number of people myself included have mentioned before there is such a big focus on meds and medical stuff here that it can be a little off putting if you are someone that doesn’t work for. I really feel it would be good to have a space to have alternative discussion but I am hesitant to start anything due to these things often being grey areas in the guidelines. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance