Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Dothemo
Senior Contributor

Is meaningful change possible

Hi SANEforums,

Well lately I've been really trying to address my deeper problems. I've lived with mental illness my whole life and now that I'm approaching my late thirties I feel an urgency in sorting myself out whilst I still can. I think that if I haven't succeeded by now, what hope do I have? Well I am noticing something new, a sort of wisdom that I didn't have before. I'm hoping that this is my key to recovery and functioning. I'm hoping I can nurture it and make it grow.

Do you think change is possible late thirties? How would you proceed if you were in a similar situation? Are you in a similar situation? Thank you.

132 REPLIES 132

Re: Is meaningful change possible

Hi @Dothemo,

Change is possible, though I don't necessessarily think it's a linear thing. There will be ups and downs, though I do think life experience can grant us moments of wisdom. But with this, life will continue to challenge us and through us curve balls. 

What do others think? I'm going to tag a few people who I know are about at the moment @Appleblossom @utopia @Faith-and-Hope @Former-Member@Former-Member @Former-Member @TAB @PeppiPatty?

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Dothemo.... were you reading my personal blog, cause I wrote this just a few days ago!
I'm in my mid 30's and feeling very much the same.
I think and hope that change is still possible!
You don't need to answer these, they're rhetorical, but what are your deeper problems and what do you think will help solve them?

Former-Member
Not applicable

To answer the second half.....
I'm a 33 year old woman (I feel like a girl) with mental illness. Still trying to study and get a foot in the world. I have a couple of big issues and I've just got out of hospital.
It's been recommended to me to have therapy. I'm shit scared and the cost and time will be significant, but I think I *need* to do this. I don't think I'll ever be fully well if I don't. And that scares me.

Thanks @CherryBomb.
Hi @Dothemo - yes change is definitely possible - regardless of age. The only obstacles I can think of - is an unwillingness to try & an unwillingness to keep trying.
I don't think you have this problem.
So I think you could really make a change.
Can I ask what exactly you want to change? We have members here who have started new careers decades older than you. We have people learning an instrument, dance and art - meditation, anger management, CBT & other therapies

Hi @Dothemo @Former-Member @CherryBomb

I hope that change is possible...  or i hoped that change is possible. sometimes its hard to know. I've seen other people change and be strong and recover. I've seen people evolve on the forums here. sometimes i dont think its possible for me. but not great headset maybe. feelings lie to us sometimes i know.

Yes, change is possible.......

These are the Curve Balls.....well..... that I can think of....

The Most hardest ( can't think of a word ) is how

You are treated by Others : 

so.....working out what you want to see changed is really important. 

What do you think ? 

Hi @Dothemo,

I think @CherryBomb is right that it is definitely not linear. If you had asked me this time last week I would have said change isn't possible it is all hopeless and impossible. Today I say I think change is possible and today I've overcome some obstacles that would have taken me right down and out in the past. Also I turn up to my appointments weekly, and comply with my mental health team, and pay enough money every week that would fix my car so I have to believe in change or I wouldn't do these things. I know I've had steps forwards and steps backwards ALOT, pretty much weekly I go in both directions. This isn't an overly optimistic post but it is my truth and I guess I really hope for change. 💜🤗

@Dothemo. Therapy is extremely important. To me it has made all the difference.
I had PTSD from a workplace incident. I got the right therapy for this & quickly . No more PTSD.
I have different therapy for my depression and anxiety. And there has been a huge change. I'm still susceptible to depression and a reoccurance of PTSD - so I know what to lookout for and what to avoid. I kknow to make an appointment with my psychologist as soon as something new comes up - so I don't get depressed and go down the vortex again. My anxiety is being managed well thru therapy. The odd ups and downs - but nothing like before.
So yes, therapy is important.
More so - you are important & you are worthy of any and all help you can get - to look afted your mental health and to make the changes you want.

Hi Dothemo and everyone,

I've had a MI for most of my life and 40 is only a few years away.  I'm hoping change is possible, it seems to be, others seem to do it.

I can see things in my life that need to be changed, I want to change them, but how seems to be the problem.  How to stop the over thinking, the creeping dread, the feelings and thoughts that just seem to pop in my head. Feelings of wisdom is something I don't have, I'm like @Former-Member I still feel like a teenager, trying to find and/or make my place in the world.

I hope these feelings of wisdom carry through for you.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance