Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Blue_Skies
Casual Contributor

Long term affordable therapy

Hello everyone,

I'm new to these forums and wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing my frustration with therapy programs.

I have been in and out of therapy for years with around 9 different Psychologists.

My issue is that once my 10 free sessions run out, I can't access my therapist anymore.

I know I need something long term, something structured but I can't afford $150 per session and most of the low cost options like Lifeline only offer up to 6 sessions which I know is not enough.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated 🙂

21 REPLIES 21
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Long term affordable therapy

TELL ME ABOUT IT!!!!
I SPEND >20k on health care a year!!!!
No wonder i never save any money!
My therapist initially charged me $160/session, and has reduced that depending on my circumstances. I am sooo lucky and thankful for this.
I would suggest working out what you can afford and approaching therapists to see if they can accommodate you?

Hi 5-HT,

Thanks for responding to my message. I didn't know you could ask for reduced rates but even so, I am unemployed at the moment so my budget for therapy is next to nothing 😞

Hi @Blue_Skies,
I think it's a catch 22 - too sick to work, can't afford therapy.
Working full time, can afford therapy, can't find the time.
It sucks!
Sorry I'm not much help, but I do feel your frustration. It's so hard and unfair.

I think you hit the nail on the head there!

It's nice to know I'm not the only one feeling this frustration as I do find therapy helpful, it's just not long enough.  How can you deal with a lifetime of issues in only10 hours? It's impossible!!!

I need the structure & motivation of a therapist to guide me through it coz when I'm left on my own, I go back to my undesirable habits and behavious.

I guess I'll keep searching and if I find anything, I'll post it here!

Hi @Blue_Skies. This is a common problem for many of us. The only thing I can really suggest is spacing out the 10 sessions over a year by going once a month instead of more regularly. That's what I'm doing this year with my psychologist. I start with her at the end of January and will see her monthly after that. That just leaves about a month at the end of the year when I can't access anything until the new year. I prefer the consistency of this to getting more intensive therapy but being left high and dry much earlier.

There may be local community centres in your area which offer counselling for little or no cost. If I was wanting more sessions, I would hit google search and then ring around some different places to see what I could find.

Hi @Blue_Skies,

Welcome to Forum Land. Smiley Happy I know there are SO MANY people in your position and it totally sucks! It is an issue that I get super frustrated about because I mean really, who the heck has $160 or so to spend on therapy sessions each week! 

I am greatly blessed in that I am eligible for sessions under the Victims of Crime program. I am in NSW, but I understand that other states have similar programs. Anyone who has been a victim of a crime in NSW is eligible for 22 sessions with a counsellor on the approved counsellors list (though I heard a rumour that you can also get funding even if they aren't on the list). The 22 sessions applies to each discreet crime, so in instances where there have been repeated crimes, a person gets 22 sessions for each one. Given the nature of my particular muddle, numerous people have told me I will get my sessions funded on an ongoing basis (though I don't truly believe this and am thus always terrified that Victims services will suddenly say they aren't funding any more sessions). 

Of course, I don't know your particular situation so I don't know if this information is of any use to you at all. 

The other option is ATAPS. The number of sessions you can get under ATAPS (and the criteria for getting them) varies across local health districts. Your GP should know the details of this program in your area. 

Also, as @Former-Member mentioned, a lot of therapists (not all, but a lot) will provide discounted rates to certain groups such as unemployed people so I think it is always worth asking about a discount. 

Thank you Mazarita, I will look into the community centres who offer counselling

How do you get the victims services appointments?
What happened to me as a kid were both crimes - does that mean I'm eligible?
Who would you approach to get information about it?

Hi Phoenix Rising,

Thank you for your suggestions. I'm not eligible for Victims of Crime counselling but I'll look into ATAPS!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance