Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Bingo
New Contributor

Mental health treatment plans and privacy

As part of the therapy for my loved one, we need to have family therapy as well. I was informed by a psychologist someone recommended to me that if our daughter needs ongoing therapy, and she chooses to get a mental health treatment plan (allowing her to access medicare support for the costs), that this plan would need to be discolsed to insurers and employers down the track.

This strikes me as wrong, as I would have thought it is a confidential plan between my daughter and her GP. I can't find any information about it on the internet. Does somebody know abou this? Can you share a link or some thoughts?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Mental health treatment plans and privacy

Hi Bingo,

It can be pretty confusing knowing what your rights are in regards to disclosure. In general, you are not obliged to disclose details of a mental illness to an employer, unless it severly impacts on your work performance. 

It might be helpful to get in contact with Jobaccess. This service can provide you with advice about what your loved one's rights are in terms of disclosure about their mental illness to insurers and employers. SANE also has a good factheet about this too.

Having a mental illness can be a deeply personal experience, and many people - within their right - choose to keep it private. I can imagine that feeling forced to share such sensitive information can create further anxiety and stress, so I hope you find the information you need. 

Hi
Thank you for the great information on what you are required to disclose to employers and insurers.

Thankyou CherryBomb, I will certainly take a look.

A mental health care plan definitely does not need to be disclosed to employers. The only time it might need to be disclosed to insurers is if it was part of an insurance claim or workers comp claim - but this would be explained to you at the time. It is confidential and I definitely encourage you to support your loved one to get a mental health care plan.

Excellent question
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance