Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

aficionado
Senior Contributor

My new job is unbearable, should I quit?

First, a bit of background:

I quit a highly toxic and stressful job back in January:

https://ostara.saneforums.org/t5/Something-s-not-right/Work-pressure-killing-me-seeking-advice/m-p/6...

All said and done, I got a job at a contact centre last week, though my disability services provider. I have never had a job before, where I was required to talk to complete strangers. And I do have insecurities regarding my accent (I'm an immigrant).

The job is nothing short of torture, every damn minute. The irony is that, the managers and colleagues here are really helpful, and they try to encourage and motivate me a lot. In my previous job, it was the higher management which made life hell for the employees, although the actual job was manageable.

My employment services provider says that they can find me another job, but I should stay on till then so that I can pay my bills at least. They do have a point, but then I am just not able to continue anymore. I have clearly realised that talking to strangers isn't my thing (I kinda knew this, but decided to foolishly accept the job out of desperation), and I hate having to wake up to go to work. The trauma is so intense, that I am even throwing up food that I eat due to the stress.

Should I just quit? I borrowed some money from my family, so that I can pay my rent and bills for another 2 months for sure. If I do quit, can the employment provider blacklist em for not heeding their advice of sticking on till they found another job for me?

A more pressing issue is that, I have started having doubts about my ability to ever work again. This is quite scary, because I have always been quite productive in my life. I am just confused, tired, stressed and depressed.

I can't talk to friends or family because I have no one here in Australia like that. I have always turned to this forum for advice, and I have never been disappointed.

15 REPLIES 15

Re: My new job is unbearable, should I quit?

Hi @aficionado.

That all sounds really tough and I'm sorry you're going through what you are at the moment. While it's great to hear you're in a workplace that seems supportive, feeling the way you are about going to work sounds truly awful.

I don't have any advice as I think what you're experiencing is a very difficult situation where there serious are pros and cons either way, which I imagine feeling very stuck with. I do know how much stress impacts my ability to function though and how being in a really stressful situation can have huge effects on my overall wellbeing.

I also understand the fear of potentially doing the 'wrong' when it comes to support services, particularly those we rely on for basic living. How open to conversation about your current situation is the employment provider? I wonder whether talking with them could be helpful. Perhaps they would be able to suggest ways of getting further support to continue working and/or what to do if you're feeling like you really can't do it right now.

Hope there is some relief from it for you soon.

@CheerBear 

Thanks a lot for the response.

How could I possibly continue working at a job where my palms tremble before making every call, and the focus of the job itself is to make calls and speak to strangers?

My consultant from the employment provider is quite supportive, but I am not sure if it is their policy to blacklist people who quit jobs provided by them.

I think it all comes down to this - Am I willing to risk extreme stress, possible self harm and losing my sanity to continue in the job, or just quit even if I am  blacklisted and risk a long period of joblessness and finanacial stress. It appears like a lose-lose situation for me.

Hearing you @aficionado. That really does seem like a lose-lose situation.

I think you're right in that continuing something that causes that much stress is risky. I very much felt it when I was put into a position of needing to work and really not being able to. It felt like being extremely trapped, with no OK way out of that. It was horrible.

I dont have an answer about the blacklisting, though maybe someone here will. I think it is reasonable to put that question to the employment service if you can.

It does sound like a tough situation all round @aficionado, have you been able to chat to your GP or counsellor about what you are going through? They may have strategies in place to help what you are going through right now and they may be able to provide some written documentation for your employment provider. 

hi @aficionado 

How long before they can get you another job?

@CheerBear 

Thank you. I will speak to my provider about it, and will see how it goes.

@Ali11 

I have an appointment with my psychologist later today, and I will be discussing this. Hopefully she can help me ouit with that letter you are suggesting.

@BryanaCamp 

Not really sure, it could take a while. This job, I got it in 2 weeks. But now I will have to be more specific about what I can and can't do, so it could take a bit longer.

I'm glad you have an appointment with your psychologist @aficionado and some support at the forum.Cat Happy

If they can get you a new job in 2 weeks I can see why you'd want to leave your job asap to stop the stress. I'm very sensitive to stress & am not really able to adjust to it & continue in a stressful environment, the only way to regain my mental health is to stop the stress (leave the situation). I recently had a very toxic colleague at my volunteer job - I've had 6 weeks off and only now feel better. I guess everyone is different in their capacity to cope with stress, you may be stronger than me & have some coping strategies.

On the other hand, I understand why you want to protect your reputation & future employment. I've been unemployed for 7 years (due to MI) and have been trying all this year to get a job. It's proving to be really hard. So I totally get that you don't want to be in an unemployment situation like mine. I agree with Cheerbear it'll be good to ask your provider about blacklisting.

Sorry you're suffering which such intense work stress. You're doing well in a very tough situation & I think things will improve for you as you're a hard worker & have some good supports in place.

From memory, you were studying? I hope that you've enjoyed semester 1 and it's been intellectually stimulating & inspiring. Hang in there.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance