Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Aw84
Contributor

Need some direction

Hi all,

This is my first time using the forums, so a bit about me.

I have cluster b personality traits and probable ASD. I just like to say im neurodiversive. 

Ive been unemployed now going on 7 months. I worked in the finance sector (something i didnt want to do in the first place) for over a decade and want to work and volunteer in the healthcare/medical sector as its closer to my interests. Im on medications, been on different kinds since i was a teenager, and recently underwent TMS therapy. 

Im increasingly concerned about my "everyday" alienation and if it will lead back to previous self harm behaviours. I dislike being unemployed, and I have concerns of its long term effects. Everyday fustration is also unpleaseant. 

Ive contacted some different agencies and such, and i submitt applications every day, but  I really feel services to assist someone like me are lacking. Surely someone can point me in the right direction of an agency or group who can assist me find even volunteer work? Anything to get a foothold into the healthcare sector. if i ever needed assistance it would be now. My wife struggles to assist me and i dont think i have a strong support network overall, its hard to tell sometimes. Even if theres some kind of support group i could go to, for people with mental health issues struggling to find roles? I have no purpose at the moment, i need something. Maybe even advice on how to best manage myself during this downtime.

Any advice, tips or directions anybody can give me is appriciated. 

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Need some direction

Welcome to the Forums @Aw84 and thank you for sharing your experience with us. It sounds like you are incredibly frustrated with your current situation. Have you been able to look at learning options which will help you in the healthcare sector? Additionally, you may find some purpose in interacting with people and helping others here on the Forums. Smiley Happy

Thanks Ali11

ive almost completed a cert 3 in business admin (medical). i was contacted today about work in finance sector. i said i would do an interview, dont want to do it but money is getting tight... it adds to the fustration. feeling somewhat angry today, maybe its not anger, im not sure what emotion im actully experencing sometimes.

ill go through the forums, like you suggested, maybe i can at least help someone else.

thanks again for your input

Congratulations on the studies @Aw84. If the certificate is delivered in person, the trainer or even fellow students may be able to point you in the direction of some additional contacts you could approach for opportunities. How have you found the content?

Overall it has been fairly easy.

I enjoyed the terminology component most of all, by far my favourite part of the course.

Hi @Aw84 

👋🏻 welcome 😊

I have a somewhat similar diagnosis (different spectrum 🙂). 

Through community mental health I’ve been able to attend some groups that look at getting into work or volunteering. As part of this we had representatives from different organisations come and talk about volunteering with them. The local council has lots of opportunities for many different things, sometimes something comes up that might be related to your interests. The local hospital also talked about the kinds of volunteering there too. I know other organisations don’t advertise but you could try. At one stage I was going to volunteer with a mental health organisation. 

If you look up seek volunteering https://www.volunteer.com.au/ they have lots of volunteering jobs advertised as well. The volunteer coordinators at my local council has been great and interviewed me to find the best match for me. She was aware of my mh. 

Also so I was wondering if you had heard of coursera https://www.coursera.org/. The courses are free and many are from universities around the world. You can pay a fee to get the certificate for them if you want. It might help with some boredom and help get into the area you want. 

Im also going to tag @Sans911  if she is feeling up to it as she has a wealth of experience in volunteering and work. 

Wishing you the best of luck. 

That part must've been fun @Aw84, like learning a new language Smiley Happy 

Thanks @Teej

Ive put my details forward to the hospitals in my area, ive also put my details forward to aged care facilities as well. i was going to register  a membership with volunteer vic, but wasnt sure if full membership would provide further benefits. Ive been finding many organisations have disclaimers on their websites, informing they are not currently taking volunteers, such as the hospitals in my area. I was hoping to volunteer to gain experience in tthe healthcare sector which is the reason i havent looked at other areas to volunteer.

i was fortunate @Ali11 that my extensive reading into certain subjects (i read a lot of non-fiction work in regards to my interests) which assisted in me to understand the terminology course content faster.

What sort of non-fiction books do you enjoy @Aw84? We've read a range from human history to psychology to self help. Open books lead to open minds and hearts Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance