Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Vgirl
Casual Contributor

New psychologist- frustrating

Hi, just needing to have a little vent. I have been to many psychologists in the past and some are fine, many barely adequate . Generally I stop seeing the good ones because I can't afford to see them but now a days I have a lovely partner who said he would pay for it, so I thought I would give it another go as I am really really struggling to get through and manage as a normal person most days. i won't go into my compex ptsd, but just know that i get triggered most days, some greater some lesser, and I need someone to talk to. My partner is lovely but is no good at listening...and he is aware of that...it's just his upbeat personality which I def don't hold against him. He is terrific. So, I book in and after going through my situation and mention I've tried most things, the guy brings up mindfulness. God...yes I have tried that...he said yeah, but have you tried this...and he talks through a mindfulness exercise as if he has imparted something very special and right. I said I'll have a think, which he was a little offended by...I mean, why would I need to think about it...I just said, well I've tried it and it sounds good but in the real world situations I can't seem to get it to work for me. He just didn't want to hear it, and repeated and then said, times up, I'll see u in 2 weeks. So I just did my usual. Thankyou, that's helpful....but the whole visit has brought me down...I had to revisit my issues/ stress occurance... I have uni assignments and work and I had to cancel work...just couldn't go and be motivational and creative (I am a PT)...

Sorry...I have rambled and clearly he is not a good fit, but it is so exhausting going through everything and to come out on a low (which is inevitable...i get that)...but I went because I am struggling to get through everyday...and to be told, yep see u in 2 weeks...well...I just don't know how i can make it to that...not that I will see him again....it's put me off therapy. I almost wish I was suicidal again as it gives me an out...and I don't have that anymore...so I have nothing but a lump of sadness and heartache pulling me down into the earth...so heavy...

sorry...its a first world problem...i used to have to worry about money for a roof and food, but not anymore, so I am very lucky...and I have my physical health. I just want the world to stop for a while...wish I was lucky enough to be in quarrentine ...haha!

Anyway. Thank you for reading. This is more of  a whinge about therapists that are unhelpful. Take care 🙂

2 REPLIES 2

Re: New psychologist- frustrating

Hang in there i went to see 5 or 6 psychologists before i found the one i see now and he is great could not have asked for a more kinder caring person who really helps. You will find the right one.

Re: New psychologist- frustrating

Hi @Vgirl sorry to hear about your experience, it sounded really frustrating that they did not seem to be listening to you at all! It is so exhausting seeing someone new - not only having to cover old ground but to work out if they are going to be able to provide any value to you or not. 

And in terms of it being a 'first world problem', you have said you are struggling to get through most days and I think that is worth acknowledging - you don't have it easy despite having access to professionals for support - this is hard. I have seen my share of good and bad in the past, and the work I have been able to do with the good ones has been a game changer so I really hope you can find a therapist that works for you. It's hard to get recommendations too - I don't feel as comfortable asking for therapist recommendations than I do for a dentist haha. I wish there was some sort of ranking system or google reviews!! 

Is there something that you have done in the past that has helped you when you're feeling that pull of sadness?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance