Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Fish
Senior Contributor

Raging against "the machine"

Last year was a big year for me. I turned 30, I had my first hospital admission, and I was diagnosed with bipolar 2. The episode that landed me in hospital also destroyed my career. I'd graduated from uni a couple of years prior, and like all except the most privileged graduates, I'd been fighting to get a foothold in the employment market. Two months before landing in hospital, I'd made an interstate move that was supposed to improve my prospects. Instead, it triggered a massive depression that more or less sealed me out of my intended career - as one hiring manager told me, "there are just so many graduates out there who haven't been sick."

Since then, I've been existing narrowly off Newstart. Despite an assessed work capacity of 0-8 hours per week, I still have to submit a certain number of job applications per fortnight. Inevitably, I've spent the last nine months being regularly rejected for jobs. Gee, I'm sure glad I spent $70k on my education.

As if that's not enough of a middle finger from Centrelink, they've caught me in their robo-debt net. Some bureaucrat or minister on a six-figure salary decided they needed to appeal to an anti-"dole bludger" populace, so they set up a massive automated scheme where "debts" are alleged on the basis of a high-school grade maths error and respondents have to prove themselves not guilty. Consequently, I have to chase down payslips from six years ago from an employer who has since been bought out by an American company who has no record of me. Until I can get said payslips, Centrelink is docking my already-below-the-poverty-line pittance by $85 a fortnight.

The ATO is jumping on board now, too. They've somehow calculated that since I accidentally underdeclared by $800 a couple of years ago, somehow I owe them $2300. I can see the mistake, but they don't listen to me when I try to point it out. I don't blame the call centre folks - they're probably as burnt out as I am from dealing with general bureaucratic stupidity. But the result is that I have to go through a complicated appeals process, with no money and no energy, when the matter could be solved in two minutes if someone just listened.

Meanwhile, all my friends and classmates are moving on in their lives and their careers. Many of them are flourishing on a path I invested six years of study towards. They were supportive when I first got sick, but now they kind of expect me to be over it. They have other things to do.

I'm trying so hard to work this out constructively, but Medicare only funds about a quarter of the psych sessions I need each year, and I sure can't afford the rest. My meds aren't working, and I can't find a psychiatrist who won't either charge me more than I have or make me wait for six more months.

I can't afford more than a few bus rides a fortnight (and I definitely can't afford a car or fun outings), so my existence is limited to whatever's within a half hour walk from home. I'm trying really, really hard to get out and move every day, but with such a limited range of options for social interaction, my motivation is dropping steadily. The more it drops, the more I stay in; the more I stay in, the more it drops. I'm wonder if I'm going to die alone in a shitty room in a shitty share house.

I've never been a Liberal voter, but I *hate* this government. I can't help blaming them for a lot of what I'm dealing with. Labor's no better. I'm useless to all of them - a dole-bludging, unemployed, heavily-indebted waste of space. I don't trust hospitals and I find most of the medical profession incredibly condescending; they assume mental illness entails mental incapacitation. I've been replaced in my professional and personal networks. I don't know where to turn.

Call me a whiny millenial, but I grew up on a social contract that said if I work hard and play nice, I'll do ok, and if I get sick then my country will look after me. Well, I studied for six years while working to support myself and volunteering for various causes. I graduated near the top of my class, with fantastic networks. When I didn't get a job in my field straight away, I kept trying. I volunteered some more. I worked three casual jobs at a time to make ends meet. I uprooted my whole life and accepted a week-by-week temp job right at the bottom of the ladder, praying each day that I'd get a call extending my contract so I could pay 70% of that income to cover the next week's rent. And then I got sick. And now, my country tells me I'm a thieving scumbag, I deserve to live in poverty, I don't have any real health problems, I just need to buck up, oh, and also we're going to up the interest on your student loans that you now have no way of paying.

I've never felt such pervasive anger. I know that this is part of a grieving process - I've lost the life I thought I would have. But that doesn't make it easier. How can I let this go?

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Raging against "the machine"

Hi @Fish,

Welcome to the forums. I am all in a muddle at the moment and thus I'm not in the headspace to respond properly to you, but I wanted to let you know that I totally hear you. The despair over being uni-educated and yet unemployed, the constant battle against Centrelink., I so totally hear you. Due to my mental health issues it took me twelve years to do my degree and yet also due to my mental health issues I am basically unemployable. Yep, I definitely hear you.

I'm busy trying to keep on keeping on at the moment. You are very welcome to join me as I keep riding the waves (if you do a search of the forum for "riding a wave", you will see me there). I SUPER love the fact that you are a fish and have Dory as your avatar. I am a sea turtle and my favourite movie in the whole world is Finding Nemo.

I'm really pleased you are here on the forums @Fish. I super wish I had some answers for you, but all I know to do is to just keep swimming. Smiley Happy

@Fish. I can really relate to part of your story.
The need to grieve for the lufe you thought you had or the lufe you thought you were going to get. That's just so hard to accept sometimes.
And yes, I also have to deal with Centrelink and their attitude that I should be grateful for their 'help'. Yet, they just don't seem to get how hard it can be some days, trying to live with MI while navigating their beurecratic rules.
I hope you are able to find someone, maybe from legal aid or similar, who can help you negotiate a better outcome with Centrelink.

Hi @Fish

Cheers for sharing, it seems like things have been a battle for you.

I understand some of the struggles you are having, I have just posted on the forum "Not sure".

Sadly I dont have any answers for you at this point, but I do want to say you are not along. 

Hello @Fish I here ya, I have had a mental illness most of my life but managed to function ok, I was in a very high paying job before my meltdown so went through the process you mention, being flown out of a minesite not wanted after I had a breakdown, no questions asked, The centrelink thing can be very stressful and really does not help you find a job, I read the disability job networks only find jobs for 25% of mental illness candidates and of those only 14% will still have a job after 12 weeks, the thing is in the right environment we do have something to give, but there seems to be little tolerance in general, if your mental illness gets worse, and it has to be severe, you may be able to get the dsp, which is less stressful, also with the ato, you might be able to get a tax agent to approach them on your behalf with a letter from your psychologist and ask if the general interest charges can be remitted.

Hi @Fish

re Centrelink: The rules for NewStart are here. You can get exempted from work search with medical certificates, see the section "Incapacity due to serious illness". DSP may be more appropriate. For DSP, a job capacity assessment of 0-8 hours results in an exemption from job search. And DSP pays more than NewStart. 

re psychiatrists: There are psychiatrists who bulk bill. We had to pay for the first visit and all the subsequent visits have been bulk billed. 

Hey all,

Thanks for the comments and the sympathy. I'm sorry for the slow reply - I was in a really bad headspace for a bit there, and kind of withdrew. The good bit is that it was kind of a fever-break point - I've made a few big changes and really ramped up the self-care, and I'm finally in a better zone.

@Phoenix_Rising- nice to hear from another over-educated, under-employed comrade! 😄 I took a similar amount of time to finish uni too - mucked around, dropped in and out for a few years from 2005-8, then finally graduated in 2014. And now that I'm in a better space, I'm starting to appreciate that achievement just in its own right, regardless of whether Joe Bloggs at ABC Recruitment Co skims past my CV in favour of the 18yo trainee applicant.

@utopia- thanks for sharing. That grief has been something I've really been struggling to explain to people, so even though I'm sorry you've faced it too, it's nice to know I'm not alone.

@MrNZ- I had a read of your other post. Sounds like work is overwhelming right now - sorry to hear it. I agree that seeing a psychologist is a great win! My psych has helped me take some of the pressure off myself, so that now when I'm feeling overwhelmed, I give myself permission to call it a "win" if I just make it through the day. Sounds like it might be a great time to branch out in your networks - I've found that it's easiest to do that through hobbies and then seeing what happens professionally, rather than putting more professional pressure on yourself right now. I hope you find a way forward soon 🙂

@getbetterand @patientpatient - thanks for the sympathy and advice. I had a stroke of luck with their customer service team, and got a three-month reprieve on debt collection due to financial hardship. I also found a bit of casual work with my old uni, so that makes me a little less dependent on Centrelink.

Thanks again for your support 🙂

@Fish. I'm glad you could relate. People don't realise how much we sometimes need to grieve. Those of us living with MI - often have a few areas where we need to grieve.
But with grief & with time - can come acceptance and peace

Insofar as the system pertaining to government and business is concerned, it's all about money. As I've persistently and consistently said over the years, with government and business it's money first and people last. The same holds true more or less with the whole of human society, with very few exceptions. Money is their king and money is their god.

Generally speaking, humans have never really been known for their tolerance or their empathy.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance