Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Sagher
Casual Contributor

Re: My first anxiety attack

Hi every one. I am very new to this place. I have a daughter who is 17years suffering from anxiety and had a few panic attacks. We have been referred to a mental health places for younger under 18. Gp put her on antidepressa which made her much worse. She became suicidal abd started cutting herself. She very angry and aggressive at all times. I have to walk on eggshells all the time. I have no support and have a yonger child abd a full-time job. I don't know what to do. Anything i do is wrong. We used to have a very loving relationship but it's going down very fast. I feel like I am giving service and she is not talking any ownership of her situation. Can anyone tell me what to do.

5 REPLIES 5
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hello @Sagher,

And welcome to the Forums, from all the Moderators.

I trust that you will find a wealth of support and empathy, from the peer base of contributors here at the SANE Forums.

I would like to direct you to Headspace for more information around your daughters experiences, and ways you can both move forward.

headspace National Youth Mental Health Foundation

https://www.headspace.org.au/

Warmregards,
JumpinJojo

Hi @Sagher

You're certainly not the first to describe the feeling of 'walking on egg shells' What a horrible and stressful situation for you to have to go through. It's so hard to be in the position where we are able to see what needs to be done - but can't "force" our loved ones to have the same perspective as us.

There are a few members who I hope can connect with you who have shared similar stories:

@helephant1969 shared a story about their daughter who refuses help, you can read more about it here - Hopefully Helephant can give you some tips or an update on how they are travelling.

@JennyK also shares her story about her daughter's anxiety and depression here 

It's such a 'rock and a hard place' scenario. I hope at the very least you get her back to the Dr to deal with the medication issues.

Keep us posted on how you're travelling.

Hi @Sagher,

Just checking in to see how you and you're daughter is going?

Did you have a chance to check out headspace?

CherryBomb

Hi cherry bomb. Thank you for asking. We are nearly towards the end of our 10 sessions with head space. My daughter had a great clinical psychologist. They have also organized some session with me too. We have now been referred to a different place . WE had the intial appointment. There is a lot of waiting around. In the process she is becoming more and more depressed. Unfortunately I don't get along with her GP either. Everytime we go there she asks me to leave the room . She told me to back off and let her be. If she stays in her room all day let her be. What do you expect she is depressed. I discussed the issue with her psychologist and she thinks i have to be involved. I Am getting tired and frustrated by all this.
Former-Member
Not applicable

depends might be good to give the space she wants might be worse, her reaction to anti-depressents and or medication is one that can come in younger people hence the safety sheets that usually come with the medication.

I'd say your GP is the best person to contact about this as since she is under 18 your GP has to get you involved with your child to some extent and better now while she is under 18 then not and legally you can't do anything about her care.

Perhaps something have happened that she just isn't confortable having you know about at the present time, for example she could be bullied and dosn't want to give you the details because it's embarrasing for her.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance