Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Self Blame. Self Hatred. Why does it feel safer.

Hi @Maggie @TheVorticon @NatureLover @Historylover 

Hi Maggie

I opened a thread on the subject of Self-Love and Self-Hatred last year - and I just had a bit of a read of the first and last pages there and I found a post of yours and a comment that particularly stands out

Maggie wrote

Waiting 2-4 hrs to see a dr while in pain, if we get annoyed, we get labeled, but their lack of respect goes unnoticed. It seems we are being silenced ( served ) in different ways.

What does this have to do with self love self hate, everything i think. Maybe change starts by thinking, then finding courage to say it so someone, then someone else and so on.

And I agree - I agree with so much of what you have said there and here as well - if we are discounted it becomes really hard to feel the strength to maintain our original opinion on the subject and to continue to feel positive about ourselves - it is extremely hard to feel good about ourselves when we are labeled as a hard person to deal with or a difficult patient

And I am sure I am both - but luckily I am okay about being myself in my old age - but how hard this is for people who have be brought up from infancy feeling helpless - lacking choices - not considered worthwhile - etc - where do we gain a better insight into ourselves

I am feeling a little fuzzy today - I was awake for a long time last night hearing gale force winds off the Southern Ocean and maybe I should wait until my head is clear to write a lot - to even read the whole thread we wrote over a year ago - but there is a comment on this thread I would like to mention first

NatureLover wrote

I discovered I was worth something, worth more than my father thought, and that it was his loss that he always thought I was worthless and could never see any good in me. To do this, I needed to separate out from him (as an adult of middle age!) and I also needed to tell him of his lifelong abuse and the damage it has done, which is also lifelong, although I've had a lot of healing through therapy. I told him, and he estranged me, which I didn't want at the time, but which worked out well for me and gave me a few years of space to get stronger in myself. (We are now back in occasional contact.)

Thanks for this comment - it is hard to overcome our mother's voice as it's the one we hear in the womb - and our father is the most important male in our lives as we are growing up - and what they think of us is paramount. I remember my father telling me that I took my children too seriously and they would start to think of themselves as important. To me they were - still are - and I didn't change my attitude toward them. 

We start our lives so helpless - so vulnerable - and luckily we don't usually remember much about that - I have learned to respect myself but that was hard - obviously if my father didn't think I was important and my mother - enough said there - she was a very hard person to please and I gave up trying. But somehow during my middle years I didn't share my unpopular choices with the two people who had once had so much power and I was estranged too. 

So - as I am still feeling fuzzy - I will end with a comment of History Lover - to be kind to ourselves - if we don't - who will?

In the meantime - I will tag all of you over to my thread on Self-love and Self-Hatred and I haven't read this today and it was written in August last year - I have naturally forgotten - but I invite you to read what people have written there

It is extremely hard to overcome the forces that originally shaped our lives but it can be done - I think we have to accept and let go a lot of the past to do it - and I will certainly write more here - and very glad you have opened the subject again Maggie

Dec

Re: Self-love and Self-Hatred

Hi @Maggie @TheVorticon @NatureLover @Historylover 

As I promised - I have tagged you all to this thread to read - but I think leave comments on the thread Maggie just opened if you so choose

bte Maggie - I see I opened quoted you in the above post - having to wait for an appointment in pain - if we get annoyed we get labeled - so true - 

I hear you

Dec

@Owlunar  I had forgotten about this thread. If it’s ok with you, and is a possibility, could we merge the two threads.

I have a friend coming over, so will check back later and respond properly.

Thanks @Owlunar 👍💜

Hi @Maggie 

It's okay with me if we merged the two threads - I am not sure how to do that - I hope you do and if you do - can you please do the honours?

Certainly - enjoy your time with your friend - and check back later

And thanks for the support and post

Dec

I am so very sorry that you experienced abuse from both parents 😞 @Maggie 

I had to learn that anger was not necessarily bad, also.

@Maggie wrote:

I think I’m afraid of “ good”.  Good gets taken away, feels unsafe and is unfamiliar.

Ah. Yes. Another huge battle. I was terrified of "good" and especially "happy", as they were not allowed as a child, and would be taken away from me. This was harder to deal with, but I think that having the last 12 years of stable housing, and being happy during this time without it being taken away from me, really helped to change this. I still have a fear of this lurking deep inside, but it hardly ever troubles me now. I really hope that this can change for you, too, @Maggie . 

@Maggie wrote:

You are in inspiration, I hope you can receive that in the spirit it is given. I can’t even think of loving myself.......yet.........but people like you, here and elsewhere, prove it is a possibility.

Yes, I can receive it...thank you for saying that, as I am a private person and it took a bit for me to write all that. I am glad you can see hope in what I've written, that makes it worth it. Sending many healing wishes to you, @Maggie  Heart

@Owlunar 's comment, to be kind to ourselves because if we don't, who will? really resonates with me too, and is something I've come to live by. Thanks, @Owlunar  🙂 I will go and read your thread now. 

Thanks so much for your thoughts on this subject @NatureLover  and @Maggie 

It is really hard to express ourselves on this subject especially if we are private people - and if we have had the thoughts of anything - including ourselves - being good or happy - then we would feel unsure of the possibility of having good or happy events - good or happy lives - good or happy selves

This is so sad and I really do understand - and some parents really lay it on their children - I was lucky that my father was loving and kind most of the time but very strict - like his father - my mother was an unhappy person and made sure we were too

I want to share a comment of hers - when I first burned-out with my difficult and troubled adopted son I was in a private psychiatric clinic when my mother said "Don't let them try and tell you that you had an unhappy childhood - you were a very happy little girl most of the time" - this was not the case - I often didn't know what I had done wrong when I was punished and usually hid my feelings. This is over 40 years ago and I still feel angry with her for trying to change my thoughts on myself. I was a lot stronger than her though - luckily. 

Your post is inspirational NatureLover - and so are you and I am glad you can see this. It is so hard to overcome the negative side of childhood but it is still there. Those who tout childhood as the happiest time of our lives can be so wrong - we are little and helpless - we have no choices - we have to put up and shut up, be seen and not heard, we couldn't have opinions

It was a battle to overcome this - and I think on the whole my childhood was okay - I was well fed and housed - I might have hated to wear cast off clothing but my grandmother was a tailoress and altered many of the dresses that were handed down - and in my childhood the rationing of the war was still there so I really think my parents did the best with what they had.

But my mother was so wrong about the way children might or did feel. When my little daughter owned her "bad-feelings" - I honoured them but my mother told me to discount them - I did not - I allowed my daughter to express herself and she is a fine, well-balanced woman now

Thank God we are in better times when we can ask RUOK because there are still so many people in the darkness of self-doubt and poor self-esteem and so many of them have found their way here

I found my way out and I would really love to help other people find the path - and NatureLover - you seem to have done some of that being happy while still sometimes fearing it could be taken away

You really are inspirational

Dec

@Owlunar wrote:

You really are inspirational

@Owlunar  - I just want to say, I don't feel like it's necessarily me that's done it - I feel fortunate to have had a lot of healing. I recognise how lucky I am that my meds work for me (not always the case for people), and that I've found an excellent psychologist (again, not always that common, I hear on the forums here). I may have done a lot of hard work in therapy, but I've been fortunate that my psychologist lets me set the agenda and go at my own pace, without which it wouldn't work. Also that I've had the time and space in the last 12 years to work through things - not always the case either. 

And not everyone has stable housing - I realise this could change at any point, too, being in a rental. And rebuilding my whole life after my 3 year nervous breakdown - I've been fortunate there as well, finding new interests and new friends. And even my father estranging me - that was to my good as well. I'm grateful for all these things. 

I have read so many heartbreaking stories and situations here since joining the forums...I so wish someone could wave a magic wand for people. There seems to be some mysterious factor involving timing or luck...I suffered terribly for the first 37 years of my life. And I recognise that good luck can change, as well. 

@Owlunar wrote:

my mother was an unhappy person and made sure we were too

Oh gosh....this is so bad and sad 😞 And so is the fact that you often didn't know what you'd done wrong and what you were being punished for 😞

@Owlunar wrote:

When my little daughter owned her "bad-feelings" - I honoured them but my mother told me to discount them - I did not - I allowed my daughter to express herself and she is a fine, well-balanced woman now

This is so good to hear 🙂

I am reading through your thread now...thanks for tagging me there. 

Hi @NatureLover 

I am glad you are reading through the thread I started last year - so much has happened since then - last year I went away three times - this year we have had fire and flood, coronavirus and the great toilet paper shortage - among other things - and it has been so totally unexpected - you are right - luck can change anytime and it takes courage to get through it all - we need all our "inspiration" to do it

And you do inspire me - and that comes through your hard work and good luck with your therapists - I have had several - most were good but moved away for their own reasons - one had to take time off for her health and she was excellent - and two were totally unsuitable - I am giving psychotherapy a break for now - I am waiting for the lockdown to end

And you have used the last 12 years well to do things at your own pace - with assistance - and rebuilding your whole life - I have done it too - I didn't have a nervous breakdown - rather I burned out with the troubled child I chose to stick with in spite of himself. My family was a total loss over this child - and they only took him for dinner or a weekend now and again when it suited them - I was heart-broken with their attitude - they couldn't deal with him so they ostracized us both - really?

But I do know the hard work that you have done - obviously - it shows when you write - well done - and I know how hard it is. And good luck can change - I am in Government Housing and that can change too - life can feel unsure but I have thought a lot about resilience - I think if we have hard life issues set in our path and with help we learn to overcome them we become resilient. It is never pleasant but when we face another setback we have beaten the odds before and we set about doing the same again.

When my children were young and my choices were challenged I decided that the buck stopped with me - in my generation - and it did. I reconciled with my father years before he died but with my mother - I never had the chance though I saw her a few weeks before she died and she couldn't speak or hear but I saw her regrets - and it was not my choice that she should have regrets - I had refused to see her just for her to give me a hard time and that's what happened but I have never felt guilty - why should I after all?

I believe life is full of hard choices - once we have started on a course then we can continue having made just that decision and it isn't easy when it comes to estrangement. My parents have passed now as has my son and I am divorced and that was my choice too and a good one. I have been alone for over thirty years now and I have been better off with the choices I made - to stand without my parents' approval - to stand with my son and to divorce my husband - and it was so long ago now I am okay with it all - 

I know it isn't an easy journey but what life is - I know my life has been a life worth living

Thanks for your comments and I wish you all the best

Dec

@Owlunar  Thanks. My friend has gone home for some lunch. That was a kick start motivation this morning. It’s been a really tough week, the dishes piled up and over my sink we’re evidence, so a mad dash to the sink to wash up and make a coffee. 

I will tag @Former-Member  and see if it’s possible to merge these two threads.

This one and Self Blame. Self Hatred. Why does it feel safer. .

Hey @Maggie those two threads should now have been merged. Have a great weekend all Smiley Very Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance