Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Fluttershy1
Senior Contributor

Self harm

I feel like my thoughts are out of control they are around SH, am safe but am struggling with the thoughts I have been so stressed the thoughts are just coming back. I don't want to have my addiction to SH again. I want to stay clean.

@Former-Member - am safe 

780 REPLIES 780

Re: Self harm

@Fluttershy1 @Former-Member 

What do you do to stay clean. Focus on some positives around what you can do by being clean.

What strategies do you put in place when you have thoughts of self-harm or feel tempted to go back to your addiction? Do you call lifeline on 131114 to chat to someone when you're struggling and need someone to listen to you.

What do you personally put in place to help elevate the stress. Do you listen to some music or wrap yourself up in a blanket or do a little home exercise? Cuddle your pet?

Do you keep a journal? I have started a mental health journal where I write down the negative and positive and then I write down what can I do to turn a negative into a positive. It can be something as small as getting out of bed and having a cup of tea or having a shower. Write down how it makes you feel when you have accomplished something like get out of bed, watch tv, have a cup of tea, look after the pet. Write what stresses you out, what are your obstacles and how you can strategise around them.

for example: when I'm stressed because I can't control the covid restrictions, my obstacles are I only have 2 hours to exercise, I can only go out once a day to go shopping, I can't see friends and family. How much control do I have I rate on a scale of 0-10 where 0 is no control and 10 is complete control. At this stage it's a 6 because I can't control the stresses of covid. However I can strategise to gain back some control. For example zoom meetings with my social clubs, zoom meeting with family, write on Facebook to family, exercise at home at my own pace and then go for a walk down the street to go shopping and walk back home. I learn to control my anxiety by being creative with the obstacles and put strategies in action to help reduce my stress levels.

what creative options that you can do to ease your stress levels so you minimise the risk of self harm and so you can stay clean?

Hi @jem80 its great that you are seeking support. Yes definitely contact lifeline if you feel you are struggling with thoughts of self harm and wanting ways to get help and support. Others on here may also offer ways that has helped them, but always know that lifeline are there if you need. 

@jazz 

Hi there, I believe your post actually for @Fluttershy1 not myself, but I do thank you for your kind words. For me it has been several years since I have considered self-harm. I have been travelling well for several years and also during covid. I have contacted lifeline just to vent from time to time during covid as a measure between my medical appointments with my mental health team.

Hi @Fluttershy1 glad you are safe and seeking support. I beleive @jem80 has responded to you and offered support, I hope this helps. Please don't hesitate to contact lifeline or other supports should things escalate for you, anf take care of yourself.

Owen45
Senior Contributor

Thanks for sharing, thankfully I resisted addictions to numb my pain, gotta give myself a pat on the back for willpower to resist addictions. Stay strong.

Am safe @jazz 

Feeling like I am failing myself, I feel worthless, I feel numb. I feel unsettled. The thoughts have been getting loud. My BPD is playing up, I've been wanting to do impulsive things but have managed to keep myself together. I relapsed in SH yesterday and I'm so angry at myself. Am safe

@Owen45 @jem80 @Snowie @BPDSurvivor @Former-Member @Owlunar 

Hey @Fluttershy1 I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling the way you are today (and yesterday too). Acknowleding that we are having those impulsive thoughts and being able to recognise them and respond to them in a safe manner is really hard and I think it's really great that you've been able to do that. 

Thank you for letting us know that you're safe and be gentle with yourself

🌷

@HappyCastle - do you have any ideas on coping statergies that I can use? I've gone through all of mine 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance