Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

sjpersonal
Senior Contributor

Splitting(relationship) between Therapists etc

Has anyone heard a term called splitting (relationship wise)

From Wiki

"Splitting creates instability in relationships because one person can be viewed as either personified virtue or personified vice at different times, depending on whether they gratify the subject's needs or frustrate them. This, along with similar oscillations in the experience and appraisal of the self, leads to chaotic and unstable relationship patterns, identity diffusion, and mood swings. The therapeutic process can be greatly impeded by these oscillations, because the therapist too can come to be seen as all good or all bad. To attempt to overcome the negative effects on treatment outcome, constant interpretations by the therapist are needed.[4]"

I am consistently being told I am between MHNP, MHOT and now Psychiatrist today as I tend to go she/he said etc (if the person had said it also been accused of not getting the full picture or adding words) any advice as I am just trying to get my needs across not trying to cause trouble (thankfully at least my psychiatrist says he believes me.

I do not totally understand this issue or how to improve as feel somehow I am somehow being manipulated (may or may not be true) and only heard about this last year while under MHOT.

Thanks

I have ASD lvl2 (Asperger's syndrome), Bipolar 2 and numerous anxiety disorders

1 REPLY 1

Re: Splitting(relationship) between Therapists etc

As I understand it "splitting" is a psychological action where the self/subject does not see the whole other person but only parts and often extreme parts, leading to over-idealising and then difficulties and dissappointments as the person does not live up to the ideal.

Regarding therapists it all depends ....

Not sure about MHOT or MHNP.

Hi @sjpersonal not "met" you on the forum before.

Take care

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance