Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Rosie711
New Contributor

Still struggling

How do I 'switch off' the negative feelings?  Once they get in my head it seems harder than ever to stop them taking over!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Still struggling

The Negative feelings taking over, I know that all too well. I think the best way to overcome them is via neuroplasticity. I know that sounds kind of daft (to think yourself well) but when you ruminate on negative thoughts, you create neural pathways geared towards negativity. It literally becomes all you know (I know because I've been there). 

The way to 'think' yourself well again is by looking for little positives in all that negativity. Mindfulness is a great tool to practice this... let your negative and positive thoughts pass you by as you notice them but not buy into them. Sooner rather than later, you will begin to notice more and more positive thoughts. This is because you've created new neural pathways geared towards positivity.

I know this probably doesn't make a lot of sense and may seem all mumbo jumbo at the moment. The psychologists I worked with in hospital were always getting us to use our noggin to boost neuroplasticity and get those new neural pathways going. You know what? It worked!

Re: Still struaggling

I can definitely see where I need to work on the negative talk that has been put in my mind over the years.  It's turning the 'can't' into 'can' I guess!  I could benefit from something like that 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance