Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Supporting an already Depressed Partner through Cancer diagnosis

hello @Former-Member , hope you are ok today my friend Smiley Happy

sending you hugs and to holly too HeartHeart

@Former-Member
Big night at the footy, battle of the birds, can the swans conquer?
Thinking of you.
Darcy

@Former-Member

Just wanting to let you know that we care

let us know how you are in your own time

Hi @Former-Member @Former-Member @Shaz51 @Former-Member @Faith-and-Hope, and thankyou so much for all your messsages during my absence last week.  I spent from Tuesday to Saturday visiting my Mum and Dad to support Mum after her discharge from hospital after her mastectomy.  She was going well, but then unfortunately her health started go go downhill from Wednesday night.  Turns out she had caught the flu from her stay in hospital and it had turned to pneumonia.  She wasnt eating and I couldnt get her to shower.  I was concerned about wound infection.  She still had the wound drainage tubes in as well, which I caught her trying to cut out one night.  I was horrified!  Then she developed a really bad cough and on Thursday night she was having trouble breathing.  Took her to her GP Friday morning and he said she needed to go into hospital again. Thankfully this time its her local small country hospital so easier for family to visit regularly.  She is where she needs to be right now and they have had her on oxygen and an IV with anti-biotics to treat the pneumonia since Friday morning.  I have organised for a home care assessment to be done before she is discharged.  She is going to need a fair amount of assistance for a while I think.  So I left on Sat morning with my Mum in hospital, but knowing that she was being well cared for and that its where she needs to be right now. She doesnt agree of course.

I spent some time with my brother during the family visit, which was great.  He is coping for now, but with the 2 year anniversary of his daughters death in the car accident being tomorrow, I know he is hurting badly and is going through a really tough time.  I am speaking with him every day since I returned home, often for an hour or more.  I think he will get through okay.

My hubby has his long awaited apt with the oncologist on Wednesday, one of the reasons I could not stay any longer with my Mum.  Hopefully afterwards we will know where we stand and what it is that we need to do.  We will be able to make plans.  That will be a big relief.

Yesterday I started to get some flu symptoms myself, and today I am feeling awful - sore all over, lost my voice, etc.  So I have caught Mums flu unfortunately.  Totally miserable in fact.

I am not feeling in the best of shape overall either.  I was triggered somewhat from being down there, which is often the case.  The scene of the crime being nearby, is always a bit of a trigger for me.  I was okay when down there, as I guess I had to be.  But it seems to have caught up with me now.  All the usual anxiety symptoms have kicked in hard the last few days.

I was really grateful earlier today when I got an email from my clinical psych.  She emailed to check on me.  And said that if I needed some extra support right now that she would get me in at short notice. Its nice to know that someone understands and actually cares. Much as I would like to go in and see her soon, I just cant fit it in yet.  Maybe after Wednesday and things start to fall into place?

Its right what you say Mohill, I have been on auto-pilot for weeks.  I guess at some stage I need to get back in control in order to land. Just not sure when that will be. Auto pilot will need to suffice for now.

Yes Darcy, I did manage to watch the Swans beat Adelaide on Friday night.  Weren't they great!  

Thanks everyone.

Sherry xx  Heart

Hugs n hugs @Former-Member .... you're doing great with such a heavy load in all directions. I wish I could something more than "good on you" to help you bear up .....

Thanks for checking in with us. You're never far from mind, so it is good to hear how things are going.

💜💐💕

@Former-Member ...

sending you lots of hugs @Former-Member HeartHeart

@Former-Member ... Thinking of you.

Thanks @Former-Member @Shaz51 @Faith-and-Hope and others.

A very quick update. Hubby has been booked in for major surgery to removed several of the numerous malignant nodules on his lungs.  Cant remove all of them, just too many scattered throughout both lungs.  But at least they will be able to subsequently biopsy the nodules and identify what type of cancer it is.  This will mean they will be able to apply the best treatment for follow up chemo or immunotherapy.

My Mum saw her surgeon on Tuesday and he is happy with progress regarding wound healing etc. However due to the size of the tumour removed, 7cm, and the fact that cancer had spread to the lymph nodes, they are recommending radiation therapy as a follow up.  So far she is steadfastly refusing.

Hubby and I are going to WA next week to see his ailing 92yo father. It could be the last chance he gets to see his Dad, so its important that we go.  Hubbys surgery will require at least 5 days stay in hospital post surgery, all going well, and no flying for at least 6 weeks after. By then its expected he will be on some sort of treatment anyway and most likely wont be feeling like going anywhere.

Thanks everyone for your ongoing enquiries and support.  Sorry I am not around much, but right now its an effort to keep going myself, and I am not in the best frame of mind to support anyone else.

I do think of you all often though.

Sherry xx

@Former-Member

A quick response

please do not apologise for not being on here enough 

heaven forbid you would only fit it in during sleep..I am hoping that you are able to sleep 

how is your flu?

you are one incredible woman ...running on auto pilot works in the interim until you find out too late that you have run out of fuel

take up the offer from your psychologist and have a session with her

thinking of all of your family through such a strenuous time for all

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance