Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Luxsux
Casual Contributor

Unsympathetic spouse

My bf does not understand mental illness at all. It hurts and sometimes triggers me. Please send advice x

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Unsympathetic spouse

Hi @Luxsux 

It is hard when our significant others do not understand our mental illness.

Do you have any supports in place like a psychologist or/and a psychiatrist.

I ask this because I found it useful for my husband to come to some of my pschologist and psychiatrist sessions in order for him to gain a better understanding of my mental illness. I organised it with my therapists before hand so they knew he was coming. 

It did help him understand more and also helped him in knowing how to help my better.

I also directed him to some websites so he could read abo9ut c-ptsd, depression and anxiety.

I hope this helps you @Luxsux 

Sorry to hear, @Luxsux . Can you give him some brief information to read? SANE has factsheets on a lot of topics...you could see if they have one on your illness(es). If you click on 'Information and stories' on the top left of this page, then click on 'Factsheets and Guides', they have the whole list. 

Good luck...

Hi @Luxsux 

I just wanted to reach out to you and offer some support Smiley Happy

I'm so sorry to hear that your spouse is finding it difficult to understand your lived experience of mental illness. It's completely understandable that you would feel extremely hurt and I would imagine perhaps very alone as well.

A gentle curiosity came over me and (only if you feel safe and comfortable to share) but I just wondered if this was something that your spouse would like to understand?

In my experience, this has been one of the most important questions that I've asked my loved ones.

Sometimes people have been very open and interested to try to understand my lived experience of mental illness and at other times, they have communicated that these conversations are too overwhelming for them.

How they respond guides me in terms of how I then try to support their understanding of what it's like to live in my world.

I hope that this provides a starting point and please reach back when you feel able to do so.

Thinking of you and sending gentle hugs ...

ShiningStar

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance