Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Helpmeheal
Senior Contributor

Weird experiences with crisis lines

Hi… I have been having a pretty rough time lately and have tried ringing beyond blue and lifeline and the suicide callback service… I don’t know if I have just been unlucky, but I feel like the people on the other end of the line are just going through a checklist and not really listening… I feel desperate to talk to a human being sometimes… I know they are probably limited with what they can do, but it sometimes actually makes me feel even worse, and more isolated. Do other people struggle with this? These forums have actually been the best place I have found for talking to people about this stuff. I know I have been on here a lot lately, but I just need human contact so desperately at the moment. Feeling lonely and just needing kind people to respond. Happy to be a kind person for someone else, too… 

38 REPLIES 38

Re: Weird experiences with crisis lines

I'm sorry you feel that way about the helplines @Helpmeheal - I guess they probably are training so many people that sometimes they do need to read through a script initially. 

Have you tried SANE's drop-in service? They are not a crisis service, but if you ever need a chat before things get to crisis point, you can contact them on 1800 187 263 (M-F 10am-10pm AEST).  Here's some more info if you are interested. There is also a webchat https://www.sane.org/get-support/drop-in-service

All the best!

tyme

Hi @Helpmeheal It’s not just you. I can relate to your experience.

I too, have been in states of distress with suicidal thoughts and not sleeping recently. I also experience scary auditory hallucinations and live alone, sometimes I don’t speak to another human for many days in a row which makes the hearing voices so much worse and there are just certain things I don’t feel comfortable calling a friend and talking about as it’s quite dark and awful for them. This is exactly what crisis counselling lines are supposed to be for.

When I’ve been desperate I have called lifeline and beyondblue recently. I have worked in call centres before so I can feel immediately when someone talking to me is aiming to “wrap up the call” and fit a KPI time limit. The responses to what I say are very robotic and “canned”, they often just repeat what I’ve said back to me, in different words. Its a very inauthentic version on “reflective listening”

It’s a very non-human, non-connecting approach type of so called counselling.

It alway just concludes in a suggestion to watch tv or do something distracting until I feel better. 
It feels awful, the bored tone of voice and the pressure to conclude the call. It just compounds my feelings of isolation and being a burden. I feel worse after these calls.

It's good you find the forums helpful @Helpmeheal . I agree, there's a lot of kindness here. So many kind people.

Dimity

@Helpmeheal  You are not alone I too have had similar experiences with helplines the robotic script reading and the lack of helpful suggestions is something I struggle with it is hard to feel heard when that is happening and I understand they only get limited training but it doesn’t help anyone to have those sorts of conversations and sometimes it even makes things worse which is why I am very careful with when I call helplines. I am sorry you have had that experience. 

@tyme thanks for the tip. I had a really good Counsellor and she told me about Sane’s 12 week counselling service, which sounded good too,

@abigayle yeah, sounds like you had a similar kind of experience to me… I guess a lot of them are volunteers and they are doing their best, but we need more support! If only it was just a matter of watching TV to distract ourselves. It’s so tough and isolating, I find these forums more helpful in many ways, just because it feels like you get talked to like a human being, by people who seem to care. I hope you manage to find some peace and relief. ❤️

@Eden1919 … you too? It is tough. Hopefully coming on these forums feels a bit more genuine. I feel better talking to the folks on here. Unfortunately the helplines have not been too helpful for me. I just want a human to talk to.

Hi @Helpmeheal , I am sorry you have had that experience with helplines when you have been so vulnerable.

It doesn’t matter how much you post on these forums and, hopefully there is always someone to sit with you and chat.

We are in this together and we do get it. Take care my friend 💛

Thank you @Eve7 ❤️

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance