Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Lemonjuice
Senior Contributor

What is Lifeline counselling like?

Ok. I haven't rung Lifeline in years. Are they still good, shorter hours, limits, horror stories, etc. I know that Jan is going to be a difficult month. I'm struggling. I think about calling and then I chicken out and just hold on till the suicidal/self-harm thoughts pass. I feel guilty cause I think I am taking them away from someone who is really in need. I feel like that about my therapist too. Anyways. If I can't handle things what do I do? They won't freak out if I talk about these things and put me in? My family can't know how I am feeling.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: What is Lifeline counselling like?

You can call Lifeline, next week Sane is available again, I prefer talking to Sane. You can also contact suicide prevention, but they sometimes have long waiting times. Sane and suicideprevention help me more as they have trained counsellors, lifeline is a listening service, they cannot offer advice, we’ll at least that is my interpretation.

You are worthy and deserve to talk to a helpline like anyone else in need of support. Please do reach out x

I have called lifeline recently and often do. Sometimes they send the ambulance and police if they think that you are at serious risk
This has happened to me. All I know is that it's better to reach out than suffer in silence

@Awpgirl When you say that they send out the ambos/police, is that with you telling them where you are or do they trace your location?

@Lemonjuice to be honest I am not sure. I recall a few times that it happened to me and have no memory of telling them where I was ;and one time I was located sitting in a park and I was sure they got my location from my phone.

However last year I had to let them know where I was in order to get the help I needed.

I feel it's more likely that I provided my location and just don't remember due to my mental health at that time.

Does that make sense?

@Lemonjuice I've also had the Police/Ambos turn up at my place after talking to Lifeline. This was with my permission however and I did tell them where I lived. I believe they can trace a call if they believe there is a life at imminent risk and requests for information are denied, although this is rare.

@Awpgirl That makes perfect sense. I'm glad they were able to get to you in time. I forget things too.

@Queenie It must be pretty scary. Sometimes when I think about it, it scares me out of being suicidal. I wouldn't want to die alone but at the same time, if they can trace you, that is too freaky to contemplate. The thought of being found, taken to hospital, surrounded by upset family asking why...😣😨

Yes, it is pretty scary for all concerned @Lemonjuice. But what is far more frightening is not being found in time I think.

@Queenie I'm working on believing that...it's the best I can get my brain to do at the moment. Having some okay moments mixed in with dark moments. It will pass...just a few more days and sanity will return.

Thanks for responding.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance