Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Daisy
Contributor

When he first became unwell

When I started noticing that "something's not right" I felt stupid for not noticing it earlier, and for not getting him help sooner. When my husband went psychotic, I didn't realise at first that he was in well... I thought it was me that didn't understand him and what he was talking about. The more weird things he did, I eventually realised he was not well and (with his parent's help) got him to hospital. I told the staff that he was not usually like this, and thankfully I knew the keywords and way to get him help straight away. It was scary though, and I barely left his bedside.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: When he first became unwell

I think a lot of carers are in a similar situation. When our daughter became very unwell with psychosis at 16, it seemed like such a shock. But, when we looked back we realized she had started to become unwell a few months before. We thought it was "teenage problems", and when she had good days we thought she was ok. We often wonder if we had noticed something sooner, if things would have been different? But, we did manage to get help for her and she is doing really well now. It is so scary though!

I agree about how scary this situation is. We are not educated about serious mental illness and especially psychosis so its no wonder we do not recognise it or instinctively know what to do or where to turn.

It was scary, and yet I had to remain calm to help him. Getting him to hospital was scary. Ironically, I had studied Psychology at university, but nothing prepares you for it to happen, unexpectedly, in your own home.

Looking back on my major episodes, I can see now that I was presenting with symptoms months, even years ahead of my suicide attempt and psychiatric hospitalisation. Neither my ex-wife, friends, nor I saw these warning signs as indicators of serious mental health problems or illness, and so I didn't get treatment until the conditions were florid and severe. We are not well educated about early warning signs of mental health problems. Stopping the stigma is an important step in our society evolving to position people to better support each other in dealing with mental health problems and illnesses.

I hope things are going better for you now Pax. We need more education, especially for our young people. I have recently read that teenagers now have their own Mental Health First Aid Course. School is a great place to start teaching young people about their mental health, as well as "educating the stigma away".  It needs to be pitched at the right level, though!

Our daughter was still at school when she had her first psychosis and I think early education could have saved her so much suffering, and so much stigma.

It is not just teenagers that have a "mental health first aid" course. Many family and carer mental health program's offer it for all Carers. We have come a long way with decreasing stigma and improving education ... But there is still a long way to go. I'm sorry you didn't get treatment until your symptoms were so severe. I know what that is like, but I'm glad you eventually got treatment and insight.

Hi @Daisy , @3forme , @Pax

It's just over a year since Daisy generously shared her story. I hope everything has improved for you all.

I wanted to let you know that this Tuesday night (26 May) we are hosting a Topic Tuesday about psychosis and inviting carers and those with lived experience to discuss their experiences, recognising symptoms and care plans.

I wanted to extend an invitation to you all to join the conversation. It kicks off at 7pm AEST on Tuesday here

Like I said, it's been some time since this discussion started and I truly hope you and the person you care for are doing well.

Nik

It is good that you sought help. My step son has delusions, but his father will not get help for him. These episodes last for up to two weeks. It is scary, I have tried to get him help from many sources but I am not the parent. And he is not sucidal or going to harm anyone else. Good on you for getting help

Hi NikNik
Thank you for this discussion. Will certainly be joining in!
Take care.
Linmerc
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance