Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

BlueBay
Senior Contributor

Yesterday's Melbourne Tragedy - trigger

Yesterday there was a horrible tragedy in Melbourne CBD, where a guy drove onto the Bourke St Mall and mowed down innoncent victims, while they were going about doing their own business.  Walking, shopping, talking, laughing, babies in prams, just people everywhere.  And in a split second - this act of another human being turned into a horrible horrible tragedy 😞

I listened to the news last night and was crying to see what this crazy guy had done.

And the tears flowed for all the victims, their families and even the guy's family, his parents.

You know we can't judge, but what gets me is that it was said he has a 'mental illness and drug addiction as well as domestic violence' and he was out on bail.

It just makes me really angry when i hear things like this. What else could have been done at the time to prevent this horrible tragedy.  I guess there are so many questions that people are asking, why was he out on bail?

I don't know why I am writing this on here, I guess I am feeling really sad, scared to even travel around.  These poor people weren't doing anything wrong. 

My heart bleeds for the victims, their families and what they are going through right now.  I can only pray and hope that the other surviving victims will be okay physcially but mentally they will suffer.   It will be with them forever.  And hoping that with professional help they will be able to cope. It just makes me sad.

I don't know what needs to be done, more work on domestic violence, a better juidical system ???

I just don't know.  all i know is that what happened yesterday could happen anywhere. Just a really really sad day and I am feeling emotional 😞

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Yesterday's Melbourne Tragedy - trigger

Hi @BlueBay

I don't know either and I spent 5 years of my middle childhood living at a police station and would be among the first people do hear about something like this happening in the semi-rural area where I lived

And it's right to be stirred up by it - the time to worry would be if we didn't feel anything for the people involved

And it's truly horrible - and as it has affected you deeply I am glad you did post this - I haven't heard about it yet - I missed the news last night - I was so tired I fell asleep

It seems wrong to me that he is out on bail too - I have to find out more but that was an act of terrible violence - and yes - having had a son whose violence and violent behaviour was getting worse I know how it affects the family of the person whose life is so undone - and it is terrible from the inside too

But this person - mental illness or not - either chose to do this or had no impulse control and just acted out and we can't blame the system or his family or the courts or anything - there may be reasons for all of this causing so much agony

I spent 12 years at university and I would study in the main humanities building when I had the time - and I graduated - and it was only a few years after that - 3 I think - that a young man who was not coping with his course work went into a tutorial room only metres from where I used to study and shot several people killing some of them.

And when I heard this I could not believe this had happened - and I was so angry and upset and distraught I fell apart - the times I spent at university were the times when I felt safe and happy and to this day I feel a backlash when I think of this and no one has the right to do this to anyone or any reason

But they do

I am glad I read this Blue - for now - just breathe - take a breath in when you need to and let it go when you need to - the time will pass and it will move behind you

But I get it - it really do - I have been closer to chaos in my life than anyone would ever want to be - and although I can't know your feelings - I know my own and these events open new wounds and old wounds alike

But don't be afraid - continue to live your life - that is the only way to deal with it

Dec [lots of hugs]

A terrible event. Hoping @Appleblossom is okay...

If anyone wants to know more about this distaster - just type or speak to your browser

Bourke Street, Melbourne, yesterday - and you will find the story to date - but we aware

THIS INFORMATION COULD TRIGGER YOU

I do think that it is important to have this thread for people to speak about this - maybe vent what they are feeling

Decadian

Hi @Decadian and @BlueBay

i read an article about this awful event last night and felt awful for everyone who will be affected by this. There'ss always going to be questions for those families that are grieving about how it could have happened and if it could have been prevented. no where is ever safe. i hope that all the injured will pull through and be ok.

lj

Thanks @Former-Member and @Mazarita

It's very important that we support each other during this time - we need to talk about it, we need to be there for each other

Dec

Hi @Decadian @Mazarita (nice to see you, hope you're ok), @BlueBay

It might sounds silly but as soon as something happens, especially involving kids i instantly imagine it being my kids involved/dead and have this horrible moment of ,.. i dont know how to describe it, intense reaction and pain. I dont know if this is normal or not. there is so much detail and pictures of things in the news now. i havent read any more but feel like i need to know as well... anyone else feel like that?

Hi @Former-Member

I think we all fear for our kids Lj

And sometimes it is our kids - my son's name was kept out of the news papers when he died - what happened was not -  but I spoke on a current affairs programme on the conditions in the Old Melbourne Juvenile Justice Buildings as well as how there were inadequate dispostions for young people like my son

So yes - I was in the media and everyone knew it

I think it's normal to fear for our kids at such times because it is always someone's kids, someone's family - there is a whole network of people who are touched at the first degree at such a time

And whatever caused the driver of the car to act in such a terrible way - it is terrifying because we still have to live our lives and it makes it all the harder

We want to protect our children and unfortunately - we cannot always do that

Yes - I think your reactions and @BlueBay's is perfectly normal

Dec

Hi @Mazarita nice to see you. Hope you're well. ❤️😊

Hi @Former-Member @Decadian
I think it's normal for mums to worry about their kids. My are in their 20's and I still worry. I remember years ago my grandma used to say little kids little problems, big kids big problems. I'm like you @Former-Member always stressing and instantly panic especially when kids are involved.
Take care. ❤️❤️❤️
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance