Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

worried1
Senior Contributor

self harm

I feel lost. I have self harmed. I'm really worried the effect this has on my kids
does anyone understand what I'm going through?

10 REPLIES 10
Scout
Senior Contributor

Re: self harm

Hi @worried1 - welcome to the forums! I can definitely tell you you're not alone on this forum being a parent while trying to also care for yourself too. It sounds like right now you might be pretty overwhelmed, and hopefully you've reached out to your doc or gotten any assistance you feel like you need right now.

There are some other threads around where discussions around coping strategies or struggling with urges can be discussed, you can use the search bar near the top of the screen to find other examples and other members who may be able to support you right now.

If you're up to it, feel free to post something to introduce yourself to the other members in this Introduce yourself here... thread, they can make you feel welcome in this online community 🙂

If you want to chat about the impact this has on your kids, feel free to express it around here. You can also reach out to the SANE Help Centre online or via phone 1800 18 7263.

Hi @worried1. Welcome to the forum. I've just caught up on the introduce yourself here thread (thanks Queenie 🙂 )and thought I'd come over here to say hi.

As Scout said, it's hard to be a parent and care for yourself sometimes. I have three kids and life can get tricky for us sometimes. How many do you have (if you feel comfortable answering - it's ok if you don't)?

Do you have much in the way of support for you and your family?

Again, welcome and hope you find the forum helpful for you.
worried1
Senior Contributor

hi. I have 2 bloody amazing kids...i know everyone says that but they are truly amazing. my mum is a fixer. always there at the drop of a hat. she is great. never lets me down. she has been fixing rhings that i created for so long she no longer sees the difference between what itvwas to what I am now. she cant and i don't blame her see why I do this. she is just angry and dissapointed now.im so tired all the time

It's great to hear you have your mum @worried1 and that she never lets you down. It would be hard to feel as if she's angry and disappointed though.

Something I find hard sometimes is how tired I feel. I feel like I'm fighting myself to be ok for me and my kids often, and it gets exhausting.

How about professional supports?

By the way, if you put an @ symbol in front of someone's name, they'll be notified of your reply. It makes it a bit easier to see each other's replies.
worried1
Senior Contributor

@CheerBear thank u. I basically have a full pharmacy in my kitchen from so many doctors one thing that keeps me stuck where i am with no way out no onw can help. i know how that sounds...but literally there is nothing or no one to help. I've tried for so long. it will never end and i can't live with that. I'm ruining so many lives of people i love.

It sounds really hard @worried1 and like you've been trying for a long time.

I've been in the space of feeling like there really isn't anything that's going to help before (often). Things start feeling pretty hopeless for me when I start feeling like that. It's hard to keep trying when it seems like there's not much point.

I've found that there's a lot that doesn't help me and it can be really hard to work through that, but sometimes I find something that does help (sometimes when I least expect it) and when that happens, it's worth me having tried.

Finding this forum was one of those things for me. I was in a very bad place when I first joined and I didn't know what to expect when I got here, but what I have found is that there are people here who get how hard it can be, and that helps me feel less alone. There are so many ideas for things to try and a huge range of experiences with different mental health issues. It made me realise that it's almost impossible to have tried every single thing out there.

I get that doesn't help with the tiredness, the disappointments, the frustration, the hopelessness of it all sometimes (not sure if you experience all of those but I do!). What helps me sometimes then is to vent about it with people who understand and to do what I can to look after myself.

Do you have any ways of looking after yourself that you find helps at all?
worried1
Senior Contributor

@CheerBear i fight to stop. I have tried medication distraction in care and out care treatment. because no one belives what triggers me to hurt myself there is no help
i am now stuck here in hiding so no one sees the damage ive done. it hurts...i am in so much pain physically now that i just cant see any happy ending

I can imagine how hard it would be to not be believed @worried1. Sorry to hear you're in pain and stuck in hiding.

I'm about to go and say hi at a weekly forum event called Friday Feast. It can be a nice way of getting to know people. Would you like to join us?
worried1
Senior Contributor

@CheerBear can i still join... I
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance