Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Eden1919
Senior Contributor

struggling to take care of myself

I am really struggling to take care of myself at the moment even basic things like showering and burshing my teeth and getting changed are becoming very difficult. my home is a mess and i dont have any food but i dont have the energy or abiility at the moment to go shopping. i am not sleeping properly. i need to email my university but i havent even managed to do that. i just cant do it everything is too overwhelming i want to scream and i feel horrible nothing is working and i just cant manage i dont know what to do.  

18 REPLIES 18

Re: struggling to take care of myself

I am sorry to hear you are feeling so lost.

Don't be afraid to call someone like Lifeline who can have a chat to help you get the help you need.

Set the tiniest goal, and achieve that, then another.

That goal can be as simple as getting out of bed, or eating breakfast.

Look at what you can control right now, and that could be a call to Lifeline.

@Taleka @Rachmane  I dont understand how lifeline could help they cant come to my house and clean it or help me practically to get anything done all they can do is talk to me and i already tried talking to a helpline yesterday and it didnt help. i am not trying to be rude i just genuinely dont understand. 

That's fair, well done on reaching out to a helpline, sorry to hear they didn't help you out.

Can you build on the momentum of the great step of making that call? Cleaning your house is a big task, and perhaps overwhelming. Maybe start small, clean away one small area? Achieve that one small goal?

hi @Eden1919 dont worry about cleaning your house at the moment,completelely focus on self care just wash the basics in terms of clothes you need to wear same with food only focus on getting food you need for a few days worth of meals,order food to be delivered if thats easier for the time being,do find a way to get out of the house when you can though like maybe going for a walk in your local area such as a park or something nearby to home that makes it easier but also helps you to get fresh air some social interaction with others if you feel up to it and a change of scenery from being at home,maybe ask a friend to go for a walk with who you could feel safe to talk to as your walking,get lots of rest,eat regular meals drink lots of water,only do the essential things that you yourself need in order to keep going without feeling as overwhelmed,talk to someone you trust or your doctor for emotional and practical support,maybe someone will be able to help clean your house for you so that you can talk to your university,if you have kids maybe someone can baby sit so you have time for you,simple things like deep breathing,calming music or a warm bath or whatever helps you to feel calm,just focus on the simple things and only the essentials but also get practical and emotional support so that your not having to deal with all this on your own here for you LostAngelHeart

Ohh babe I hear I, I’m EXACTLY, the same, I haven’t had a shower in 3 days the dishes haven’t been done for longer that that (but I don’t really eat so it makes it I little easier wen I’m by myself)), can’t vacuum, don’t even turn on the tv now. Lost so lost ❤️❤️Pls take care, I did bad stuff on Friday and had the police around AGAIN for a welfare check..... don’t do anything bad pls pls 🥰🥰

Hi @Eden1919 

I feel Exactly the same.  It's tough, isn't it?!?

I don't have much advice for you, as I'm struggling too - but perhaps knowing you're not alone or the only one in this position, may help a bit....I don't know?

We'll get there....tomorrow's a new day.

I subscribe to a 'daily motivational' app, where I receive a quote each morning. This morning I got this:- 

You're tired. You're stressed. You're mentally and physically drained. You feel alone. Struggling with the present, uncertain of the future. Life sucks right now. You'll be fine. I promise… It gets better. Just keep moving forward.
-Ralph Napolitano

@Eden1919 

I understand what you are going through, been there so many times myself and I am still like that now. Very first step is food, you need something to feed your body. I did get food delivered from woolies or coles once when I just did not want to go out. Ordered from their site. You can do as much or as little as you need. Obviously not for just one or two items though. As for everything else, cleaning your place, emailing your university, not brushing your teeth or showering. Do not stress to much. Get rest, because you are not sleeping. Perhaps you feel nothing after even brushing your teeth or showering. Perhaps even more tired and uninspired, I get that. 

I think food and brishing your teeth is a great start. If that takes you another three days then that takes you another three days to do. It sounds like more than a deep depression to me. Most helplines especially lifeline are trained to lead you to help yourself and they have a set time limit. I understand why it is not helpful to you right now. Unfortunately this will take time. You do need to take steps at some point though. 

I hope this has helped. 

hey @Eden1919, I feel you. It doesn't help when you're struggling to do things, let alone when there's a build up of dishes/chores/etc. which tends to make me feel even worse! Kind of like an unavoidable visible reminder of my own poor mental state and how I'm struggling to get out of it.

I'm not sure if you have a friend, family member, neighbour etc. you're close to who you could ask for some help? I've happily supported loved ones who've been through similar things, to clean their rooms, clean dishes, empty rubbish, etc. Maybe someone can come and at least help make your living space a bit nicer? 

Sending love Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance