Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

outlander
Community Guide

what to expect at SA therapy sessions

hello everyone im wondering has anyone had any experiences with sexual abuse counselling?

tomorrow is my first session and i dont have a clue what to expect and im feeling super nervous

25 REPLIES 25

Re: what to expect at SA therapy sessions

Yep. Not feeling well enough to write lots atm but do you have specific questions?

hmm not really @Former-Member

more what to expect in the first therapy session

Hi @outlander

I would expect it would start with a lot of basic relationship/trust building. as well as developing skills/strategies to use that will help you to be able to do the 'therapy'. It might be a bit of talking about your history and why you're there, but i would be very surprised if you had to go into any details, you can decide how much you share depending on how comfortable you are. 

Nothing big. You need to develop trust first. Since you only get a few sessions I spent most of mine learning to cope with my triggers and anxiety peaks.
1st session will be focusing on what your goals are and what you want from the sessions.
I focused on feeling safe in normal daily life and intimate relationships.
Does that help?

Thank you @Former-Member @Former-Member
I havent been to a psych since april and this will be my 4th one

@Former-Member

My therapist cant tell anyone what i say can she?

As in- she has to write up reports for victims of crime but she cant literally write everything i say can she?

@outlander They fill out very basic details for victims of crime. They won't provide any names of perpetrators or anything like that. It is a very brief report. My psychologist is more than happy to show me any and everything she writes to anyone. I would think any half-decent psychologist would do likewise. It is extremely important to me that nothing is said "about me, without me." I couldn't work with any health professional who refused to show me what was written (and also allow me to collaborate on it if I choose to).

She said it was only basic @Phoenix_Rising but i havent seen how basic it is. I like that 'about me without me'
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance