Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

ExhaustedCarer
Contributor

Experience with forensic/trauma clean?

Firstly! I’m sorry I’m a forum hog atm! I’ve really needed this space for months and only just discovered last night. I’m learning so much and have a lot going on and hence lots of questions! I think this is my last for a hot minute though and then I’ll take a back seat 🙂 

I wanted to hear about other people’s experiences organising & supervising forensic/trauma cleans? Got one organized for in a week for my mum’s place. Never had one before (despite two+ decades on hoarding/squalor issues- I’ve been able to do the cleaning before but just can’t anymore) and am really curious and trying to prepare for what it is going to involve. 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Experience with forensic/trauma clean?

I don't have much experience in this area @ExhaustedCarer - I hope others will be able to offer their insights 🙂

tyme

Hi there @ExhaustedCarer 

Glad you've found this space so helpful! No need to apologise about that at all.

Ah trauma cleaners for hoarding and squalor. The people who do this are something special in my books. Even though people who get into this situation do so due to mental health issues, I can't imagine going in and doing the clean. In my old job I had to visit people in their homes and had to refuse to go to some people's homes due to the squalor. So it's great the clean is getting done for your mum.

I would imagine that you wouldn't have to do anything really to prepare. I would maybe just have a conversation with the people who will be doing the cleaning about your mum's situation and why you think it got the way it is. These people need to be really sensitive as the home owner could find the clean quite traumatic even though they know it needs to be done. I hope it goes well! What will your mum do while the clean is being carried out?

Hanami 💮

Hi @ExhaustedCarer 

No need to apologise, we are all here to help each other. 

Definitely not a professional but do have a little experience in this area as a volunteer cleaner after the floods a few years back. Something I found really helpful was to use bucket loads of empathy. 1 for the home owner and 2 for the home owner's support person. 

Not sure of the complexities of your Mum's situation but know hoarding can be a hard one as every single item has significance in some way. I found sometimes just putting the items inside a box to clear access ways was enough. We also had a person who's only job was to stay with the home owner to monitor how they were coping and to distract if needed. Sounds like you already know all about how tough that can be. 

Have you engaged a professional cleaning service with experience in this area? Would you be open to speaking with the cleaning service to have them explain how they approach it? 

Might put your mind at ease...

Sending good vibes and hope all goes well for you and your Mum. 

Thankfully my mum, as of today, is in a mental health ward. However, I still totally take this on- i have let her know some key items to be thrown but for the most part will only authorize throwing the rubbish (it’s mainly a squalor situation). I think mum is actually quite happy to be out of the house for it because she likes to keep up appearances and is in a lot of denial about the house (and I totally get that) ❤️❤️❤️ Thank you!! 

Thank you so much 🙏🙏🙏

So glad to hear. It sounds like you and your Mum are in good hands right now.

Virtual champagne toast to you......Hope you have something relaxing happing today!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance