Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Service Spotlight 1: David from Mental Health Carers ARAFMI NSW

Hi CoffeeGirl,

While it is impossible to speculate on the exact ramifications of this co-payment at the present time, my understanding is that it will apply to everything - including tests and x-rays. So I guess while a psychological session under Medicare may also incur this fee, we will need to see what happens.

I did manage to find this news article which might put your mind at rest to some degree though:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-31/abbott-open-to-refinement-of-co-payment/5491660

I hope this helps. Does anyone have any other thoughts on what this co-payment might mean for carers? I would love to hear some views of others.

thanks

David

I think it is a disgrace, I visit GP at least once a month

Also the disability and carer pensions extra supplement to cover any co payment. It all sounds like a bureaucratic nightmare

Hi Fatima,

Yes, I agree. It all sounds like yet more forms to fill out! And when we consider that the basis of a carers role is fundamentally an unpaid one, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

I think the idea of a co-payment is absolutely appalling! As a carer, I earn slightly too much to qualify for a health care card. I receive a carers allowance from Centrelink but working full-time and caring for a few people in my life living with mental and physical illness is very difficult, especially when I financially support one of them. The financial burden is only one of many but it is substantial.

Hi Kazza,

Thanks for your comment. I hear you. It might not seem like much at $7, but when all these little things add up together, it can start to look like Mount Everest!!

Hi everyone, I thought I should also let you all know about ARAFMI NSW Carer Helpline!

Our Carer Helpline provides trained telephone operators who listen to carers needs and offers support and referrals to the relevant service providers to meet those needs.

We are also able to record problems or issues encountered by mental health carers and the people with experience of mental illness they support. These issues are the reported to the Mental Health Commission in order to help improve the quality of those services and their relevance to carer needs.

Freecall - 1800 655 198 call or (02) 9332 0700.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance